Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Newbie: how to find system information (and save it)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3

    Newbie: how to find system information (and save it)

    I am relatively new so maybe the answer is simple but cannot find it. Sometimes friends of mine ask me to reinstall windows and since Knoppix often still will find stuff like network devices etc when Windows doesnt' anymore I wonder if there is a tool that gives some system information about the hardware that has been installed, so that I know what drivers I will have to look for. If I could save the info as a textfile it is great but if only I could see it and write it down on an old fashioned piece of paper I am still a lucky man Thanks for any answer

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512

    hwinfo

    You could use the program hwinfo.
    Code:
    hwinfo --help
    gives a short summary about the available options. You can save the system information in a log file. The following two commands create log files in the knoppix home directory.
    Code:
    hwinfo --log /home/knoppix/hardware-short.txt --short --all
    hwinfo --log /home/knoppix/hardware.txt --all

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @klaus2008

    Swell idea, Klaus, thanks.
    In my case, your first command gives me a 650k file.

    For a shorter 'hardware-short.txt', I put
    hwinfo --short > /home/knoppix/hardware-short.txt
    in my home directory. A 4k answer.

    Then I view this with /System Tools/Log File Viewer,
    adding this as a permanent choice on its menu on first viewing.

    This makes very good use of an otherwise under-worked
    Log File Viewer.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    @utu

    You can read the short info at the end of the "short" log file
    There is a way to reduce the filesize of the log file.
    Code:
    hwinfo --debug 0 --all --short --log /home/knoppix/hardware-short.txt
    This gives me a 71 k file (instead of 491 k).

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thank you for your quick answers - but an additional question rises : is this /home/knoppix/ directory somewhere on my harddisk? Otherwise it would not be possible to really save the file. I also tried yesterday to open one of the text editors and save some text on my hdd, although I had mounted it and removed the read-only attribute, as soon as I wanted to save the file the hdd simply didn't show up. As I said I am relatively new at knoppix and I had expected a kind of browse button like in windows, which give you the chance to change the drive and not only the directory.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @MartienKNOP

    Several suggestions, intended to be helpful:

    1. Find out about 'persistent home' as a knoppix option.
    2. Play around with a command-line console. See what you get
    for ls -l, and df -h.
    3. After doing so, come back and start new threads
    (one each) with your new questions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset) picture

Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset)

$18.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA  HDD picture

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD

$14.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI) picture

HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)

$359.00



Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers/Caddies picture

Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers/Caddies

$144.95