Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Initial help, please: ADSL USB modem

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Carlisle, England
    Posts
    42

    Initial help, please: ADSL USB modem

    Hello there....

    I'm new to Knoppix/Linux and have loads of questions, but really i want to try to work things out for myself....

    However, in order to do this it would be easier if i could get internet working under Linux...

    I've done a HD install and most things work fine but I just cannot seem to get my BT Voyager USB ADSL modem recognised....

    #usbview shows no connected devices

    Where do I start?

    PS Do I need to copy/download any source files to HD after doing the HD install in order to rebuild kernels etc?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Initial help, please: ADSL USB modem

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Hello there....

    I'm new to Knoppix/Linux and have loads of questions, but really i want to try to work things out for myself....

    However, in order to do this it would be easier if i could get internet working under Linux...

    I've done a HD install and most things work fine but I just cannot seem to get my BT Voyager USB ADSL modem recognised....

    #usbview shows no connected devices

    Where do I start?
    I'd start here

    PS Do I need to copy/download any source files to HD after doing the HD install in order to rebuild kernels etc?
    Do a search here on the site for kernel to see what others have done to rebuild kernels.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Carlisle, England
    Posts
    42
    Many thanks for providing the link
    Will do exactly as you suggested, wish me luck!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Carlisle, England
    Posts
    42
    Hey all, I'm posting this under Knoppix
    If anyone else has struggled with setting up this modem (BT Voyager ADSL), here's what I did:

    Downloaded and installed driver, got the Debian package. http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/index.php?lang=en

    Used instructions from http://www.thecaretaker.org.uk/drive...yagerlinux.htm (the link which Rickenbacherus posted .... many thanks mate!)


    Everything is now just spiffing old boy

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Right on- glad you got it working. One more Linux user!!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    sheffield, England
    Posts
    2
    hey all, first post one of many

    i have the same option but as you said you follwed the instruction i seem to be ven newer than you

    i got th edriver sfollwed on what it said on both sites but am still at a loose end,
    the only other option was to asbut i h8 doing it but there is nuthin els ei can do except ask
    so thanx in advacne

    just hold my hand even more, *maybe take me to the door* ??

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    sheffield, England
    Posts
    2
    and yes i have major lack of finger to keyboard skills

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Carlisle, England
    Posts
    42
    Forgot to mention, the part in the set-up instructions refers to getting the modem to initialise automatically on boot-up... this didnt work for me.

    What I do is as root (or SU when logged in as a normal user) is to open a shell and type the command "startmodem". If you followed the install and set-up instructions correctly this should fire-up your adsl connection.

    Hope this helps, Doc.

  9. #9

    Wow, could I be more lost??

    Hey... I'm a Windows Child ok.. but trying to make the cross over cause I hear good things about Linux! So I downloaded and installed Red Hat v9 on another pc and all is fine there. But now I want to be able to plug my BTBroadband usb modem into it and have it work, just like you guys have managed!

    It's the same modem and so on, I just have NO idea what those instructions are talkin about... type what where??? I need a step by step lol... please someone help??

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3
    I have a similar modem (ie one that uses the same driver : a Dlink DSL 200). I found this driver remarkably easy to install for the hdinstall'ed Knoppix ; much easier than the instructions for the BT Voyager would lead you to believe. These modems require no nasty closed-source kernel modules, and there is even a graphical configuration tool!

    The eciadsl driver works for over 31 different USB ADSL modems: if you want to see if it works for yours, look here:
    http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/modems.php?lang=en

    There is an easy tutorial (with screenshots!):
    http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/tutorial.php?lang=en
    the screenshots are for Gnome, but hopefully you should be able to replicate them easily in KDE too.

    The only gotcha's I found:
    * My modem at least didn't work well with the 0.7 (stable) version of the driver : I had to download the development version, and compile it myself. This is easier than it sounds : if the stable version doesn't work for you, just download the package from : http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/download...de-cvs.tar.bz2
    save it in your home directory. Then open a terminal window (eg run "konsole", or "xterm") and enter these commands one-by-one (you can skip the bits begining in #, they are comments)
    Code:
    tar -xjf eciadsl-usermode-cvs.tar.bz2
    #look in a filemanager to see what the directory is called:
    cd eciadsl-usermode-cvs-20030607 
    ./configure
    make
    su #then enter your root password
    make install
    Then follow the rest of that tutorial. The only tricky bits are finding a "synch" file that works (try them all until one works, and the startmodem script manages to "setup the modem") and knowing the PPP mode (FYI use VCM_RFC2364 (aka PPPoA) in New Zealand), otherwise guess (until you actually get connected to the internet)

    If you have problems, they may be covered in the FAQ or the Documentation on the site: http://eciadsl.flashtux.org

Similar Threads

  1. ADSL Modem....
    By The Black Death in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 07:05 PM
  2. USB ADSL modem doesn't work
    By tomasko in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2004, 06:00 PM
  3. ADSL USB MODEM
    By fmarzocca in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 06:30 PM
  4. regarding usb adsl modem
    By kaerthi in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 08:33 PM
  5. ADSL USB modem
    By gangie in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 02:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold picture

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold

$121.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3 picture

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3

$200.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99