Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Updating google chrome?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4

    Updating google chrome?

    I have the 6.3 cd and apparently the version of chrome installed does not support extensions.
    How can I update to a newer version of chrome?
    I searched for chrome in synaptic manager and it says the installed version is the same as the latest version (?)
    Any help for a novice?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4
    I have partly solved my problem, I deleted the old chrome browser, ran update in terminal and I now have the latest chromium browser which supports extensions. New problem is how do I save this new browser program to usb flash in order to save it permanently? I don't have a hdd.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northwest U.S.
    Posts
    30
    You can add the google repository to you sources. In Synaptic under Settings > Repositories

    URl = http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/
    Distribution = stable
    Sections = main non-free

    Then maintain it from there.

    You can make a persistent store for Knoppix on your USB by booting with the cheat code

    home=/mnt/device_designation

    Here is how: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiboo...ing_permanence . I hope that is up to date.

    I think you can just boot with that cheat code, the correct device name and the home directory you have made.

    knoppix home=/mnt/sdb1/home

    It will then store to and retrieve from.

    I think you will have to install Google Chrome to your home directory for it to stay on your system.

    Or, you could install the whole system to your thumb drive if your machine will boot from USB. The option is on the preferences menu somewhere (not in front of me). At least 4-8G is optimal.
    Last edited by evenso; 09-20-2010 at 11:20 PM.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northwest U.S.
    Posts
    30
    Ok here is a correction on the cheat codes. (I shouldn't post when I am away from Knoppix.) The full list is on this forum somewhere and on the CD.

    Regarding persistent store, I think you would be interested in

    knoppix tohd=/dev/<thumbdrive_designation>

    which would save the session to the thumb drive on shutdown.

    Thereafter,

    knoppix fromhd=/dev/<thumbdrive_designation>
    ### Configuration / Persistent image ###
    knoppix nonetworkmanager Don't start network manager
    knoppix home=/dev/sda1/knoppix.img Mount loopback file for overlay
    knoppix toram Copy to RAM and run from there
    knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1 Copy to Harddisk and run from there
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1 Boot from previously copied CD-Image
    knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda1/KNX.iso Access image, boot from ISO-Image. ***)
    knoppix knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX Directory to search for on the CD.
    knoppix knoppix_name=KNOPPIX Cloop-File to search for on the CD.
    knoppix noswap Don't use existing swap partitions
    knoppix forensic Don't use swap and mount read-only
    knoppix secure Disable root access
    knoppix noimage Do NOT use persistent image

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Errr - if you use the tohd / fromhd cheatcodes, the ENTIRE knoppix system will be copied to flash - but it's not bootable. Better, in most cases, to use the flash-install routine on the Preferences menu. That requires the first partition, formatted FAT32, but it will boot in many, if not most, systems out there today.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



Lot of 4 - 16GB 2Rx8 DDR-4 2666V MHz ECC Reg Samsung M393A2K43DB2-CTD6Y Tested picture

Lot of 4 - 16GB 2Rx8 DDR-4 2666V MHz ECC Reg Samsung M393A2K43DB2-CTD6Y Tested

$300.00



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$159.95



Lot Of (22) 4GB DDR3 — ram memory picture

Lot Of (22) 4GB DDR3 — ram memory

$149.00



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz picture

Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz

$87.00



SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT picture

SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT

$150.00



Corsair Vengence Pro RGB DDR4 3200 (4x16gb) DRAM Kit picture

Corsair Vengence Pro RGB DDR4 3200 (4x16gb) DRAM Kit

$340.00