-
KNoppix modified my root name
<span style="background-color: #99FF99;">Hi,
I used knoppix to explore my centos 5.5 GUI, but knoppix modified my root name.
Before running it, my root name in the terminal was 'root@mepouze'
Now it is 'root@knoppix ~ mepouze'
So I tried to find how to modify this value it on the internet, but i did not find any topic about it.
I re-installed Centos 5.5 GUI hoping that it will erase the value written, but it has not changed anything about it.
Thanks for your answers.</span>
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Did you run Knoppix from CD or DVD (as God intended), or did you "install" it? If it was run from an optical disc then it should not write to the disc.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
yes i used the dvd of knoppix
-

Originally Posted by
mepouze
yes I used the dvd of knoppix
What I forgot to precise is that I used the version 5.1.1 of knoppix CD, not dvd.
So now, i'm thinking about many things : maybe the 5.1.1 CD Boot is too old and presents uncompatiblities with the news OSes like centos 5.5 GUI.
Maybe I will have to format my disk in fat32 in order to clean it totally.
I need some help to conclue =p
-
If you're seeing root@knoppix, it's probably because you're booted into Knoppix, not centos. There should be no changes to the hard drive - it's just the way knoppix identifies itself.
Cheers!
Krishna
-
It's impossible to boot on it because my priority device is hard drive first.
I've disabled cd priority.
This problem is inside Centos wich has been, according to me, modified somewhere by knoppix.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
mepouze
It's impossible to boot on it because my priority device is hard drive first.
I've disabled cd priority.
This problem is inside Centos wich has been, according to me, modified somewhere by knoppix.
Knoppix will use a Linux swap file if one is available on the hard disk. Beyond that it should not write to the hard disk at all unless instructed to, and even then there are several safeguards that make writing (accidentally or deliberately) hard for a beginner. Ive seen a few other cases where someone claimed that Knoppix mucked something up on its own, but have never seen a confirmed case of it.
I assume it was possible to boot Knoppix at one point, otherwise you likely would not claim that Knoppix made a change. And it would be "possible" again, just by the flipping the BIOS setting again. Why disable CD booting (or CD priority as you call it) when you could prevent booting a disc just by removing it from the drive?
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
The knoppix in the string is the so-called "machine name". This may be changed by editing the /etc/hosts file. However, there may be other places that centos puts the machine name, too. Essentially, your problem won't affect much of anything in most cases, but if you want to poke around in the administrative utilities included with that distro, you can make it say what you want.
Cheers!
Krishna
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99