Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Cannot clone a hard drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5

    Cannot clone a hard drive

    Friends: I am using Knoppix 5.1 to try to clone an internal IDE hard drive to an external USB SATA hard drive. I was using GPARTED to do this using "Copy" and "Paste" commands. Both hard drives show up but I cannot get the "Paste" command to work, as it is always grayed out. Could someone walk me through how to do this? I was also trying to use the DD commands with no better luck. Thanks for any help. Windows XP Pro.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    I assume you mounted the SATA drive by clicking an icon on the desktop. Try right-clicking that same icon and choosing to set the drive to read-write mode, and I think the problem will be resolved.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakenaam View Post
    .... Windows XP Pro.
    krishna is right, the partition that you open will default to read-only unless you force it to be read-write. However, Knoppix does not have a very good history of writing NTFS partitions. Even if it seems like it wrote to NTFS properly, there may be underlying corruption that will come back and get you. I would NEVER write to NTFS with Knoppix, although reading is certainly fine. Writing to NTFS is best done with Windows (and even they don't have a very good track record about it, as seen by so many people who show up here trying to recover their Windows partitions).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    I agree that writing to NTFS with Knoppix 5.1 is problematic. You can choose another fs-type, naturally, since the clone-copy can be made with only fs-independent copy operations. Perhaps another approach would be better, though, since you probably want to access this disk with Windows; there are utilities available that will make a sector-for-sector clone of a drive (that makes t fs-independent.) The right one may depend on the (new) drive manufacturer, if the utility from that manufacturer can be found to do it. There were a number of them on Hiren's BootCD when last I looked at it. Be sure you obtain any licenses required before using any commercial software that may be on there.

    One other note re: NTFS - Knoppix 6.2+ uses a more modern and reliable NTFS-writing package. I personally write several (or many) GB on NTFS partitions every week without issues. That isn't to say there are none possible, but if you don't HAVE to use version 5 for hardware compatibility, I'd consider using version 6.2 or above, as there are many advances therein.

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    p.s There is a more error-resistant version of dd out there, which has been discussed in these forums, but I can't think of the name right now. Maybe someone else will remember, or you could try searching with Google, too.
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 09-29-2010 at 04:57 AM. Reason: One more thought

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate Constellation ES.3 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | ST2000NM0033 picture

Seagate Constellation ES.3 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | ST2000NM0033

$40.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5

HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K Hard Drive (V6315)

$61.56



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99