Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: can not get poor mans install to boot

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    23
    Ok, here are some results:

    ls -al /dev/hd* produced results that scrolled past the screen. I typed ls -al /dev/hda* and had seen that hda3 was listed. I did type the mknod /dev/hda3 b 3 3, but did not realize until after the fact that was to be done if no results were seen for ls -al /dev/hd*.

    mount /dev/hda3 /mnt-system produced 'no such device or address'

    ls <enter> lists the file system and mnt-system is there. Since both hda3 and mnt-system are listed, I am not sure what the device or address is that can not be found.

    I put the knoppix folder under /home in hda3. That seems to be the highest point I can go in that partition and that is where the puppy linux folder is located as well.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    kernel (hd0,2)/knoppix/linux ramdisk_size=100000 initrd=minirt.gz lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet fromhd=/dev/hda3/knoppix bootfrom=/knoppix/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
    initrd (hd0,2)/knoppix/minirt.gz
    If you put the KNOPPIX files in a subdirectory then you must use the cheatcode knoppix_dir to describe the location. In the following example I assume that the large KNOPPIX file resides in the directory /home/KNOPPIX on the third partition of the first hard disk drive.
    Code:
    kernel        (hd0,2)/knoppix/linux fromhd=/dev/sda3 knoppix_dir=home/KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet loglevel=0
    initrd        (hd0,2)/knoppix/minirt.gz

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    23
    I am now posting from the knoppix poor mans install! The kernel and initrd grub statements fixed some errors I had. My other error was in not having all the necessary files from the dvd in the hard drive. I also had to tweek the path in grub to be more direct as to where the knoppix files are located. I found from trial and error that knoppix did not work with /home in the path. Question: I am prompted if I want to make a personal file and at what size. Will that make a persistant home directory?

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    23
    I should have posted my grub entry. And thanks for the help klaus2008 and kl522. This worked for me for those who wish to try this type of install:

    title Knoppix 6.2 dvd ISO
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel (hd0,2)/knoppix/boot/isolinux/linux fromhd=/dev/sda3 knoppix_dir=knoppix/KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet loglevel=0
    initrd (hd0,2)/knoppix/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
    savedefault
    boot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$374.48



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00