Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How do I enable touchpad-tapping?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8

    How do I enable touchpad-tapping?

    Hello everyone. I am new in this forum. Knoppix is a great Linux distro. I write a software for an old computer, without mouse and keyboard - only with touchscreen (i think - it use the same drivers like touchpad, so I'm testing my application on laptop). But touchpad-tapping (i want to it mean click) i disabled. I have downloaded synaptics drivers from repositories, but it still not works. What I must do to enable it? Change something in /etc/X11/xorg.conf ? Thank you in advance, rr

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423

    Unhappy

    [there is a emoticon on top which I can't remove]

    There are two ways to go about this, as you have noted, one is to modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Because knoppix xorg.conf is script generated, you will have understand the needed syntax and as well as understand which script is the one generating it.

    Alternatively, this is what I would do it. Firstly make sure you have this program 'synclient', check that it exists :-

    Code:
            $ synclient -l
    ( this will list all the available settings ).

    If it does not exist, you would have to install xserver-xorg-input-synaptic.
    After that go to /etc/X11/Xsession.d and add a file say '15x11-synaptics' with this content :-
    Code:
    #
    synclient "TapButton1=1"
    That's all which is needed. After you restarted Xserver, tap-to-click will be working.
    Last edited by kl522; 09-27-2010 at 10:59 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    @kl522
    Thank you for providing this valuable information.

    I use the command
    Code:
    synclient TapButton1=1 TapButton2=3 TapButton3=2
    to enable tapping with two and three fingers. Tapping with two fingers is set to button 3 because clicking with the right button is more often than clicking with the middle button.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8
    thanks, it works

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    You are fully justified to use tap-to-click on a system without keyboard and mouse.

    I use touchpad on a typical notebook, personally I consider tap-to-click a nuisance.

    However I do this :-

    synclient "HorizEdgeScroll=1"

    to allow me to use horizontal scroll on the edge of the touchpad.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99