Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Cloning a drive

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2

    Cloning a drive

    Hey Guys, I am having trouble cloning a drive that is on its way out physically. I was told to clone it using [name omitted by moderator] because it utilizes bit by bit cloning. I ended up with a .img file and no way to "burn" it to the new drive I purchased. I believe knoppix can help me push the .img file to a new drive but not sure how. Any help friends? Thanks in advance from a linux n00b

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I omitted the name of the product that you used, but paying 50 bucks for software that made an image file and gave you no way to transfer it to a new drive doesn't seem smart. We certainly don't want to provide any promotion for such a product.

    Knoppix can do copies with the dd command, you might want to look into the documentation on that. I don't really know if it will do what you need though.

    You might also want to look at the great utility ISObuster. Even the free part should allow you to extract the files from an img file and copy them to a new drive.

    I would also think that you should be getting feedback and support from the people who sold you a $50 utility.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the fast response! Well it was recommended to me by the guys over at [another lamer omitted] and I was getting desperate. I have since contacted them and said "what do I do with this img file" and they told me to contact the software provider which has not led me very far and Im pretty sure they dont even offer img burning.

    I dont exactly need to extract the data because its all in a proprietary format (url omitted). I just need to put the .img file on this new drive so the xxx thinks its the same one as the old drive that is failing. Anyone know how to use these "dd commands"?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Once again, I suggest looking at the Windows utility ISObuster to extract files from an img file.

    For details on dd, type man dd into a Linux shell prompt. Or Google dd. I don't think that you're going to want to just copy the image to a new drive (or new drive partition) however. I certainly would not do it that way, I would format up the new drive properly and extract the files that I wanted from the image. It isn't clear what is on that img, isn't it a copy of the entire drive, not just the files that you need?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD picture

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD

$100.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73