-
Senior Member
registered user
101 % it's a grub problem. Grub version upgrade will fix the problem. However I don't think any of us here will want to prescribe that. We are all nervous about such a prescription !
I read somewhere that someone has a problem with grub 0.97 and savedefault, because the savedefault thingie was introduced somewhere in the subversion of 0.97. Give it a shot maybe, remove the 'savedefault'.
-
Right now I am happy with a boot up. I will look into the grub update and usb install method. I have an old computer that I reformatted the hard drive on so that is my lab rat. A correction to my cheat code: fromhd=/dev/sda1. I also am using the cd version, not the dvd version. Will the synaptic utility install additional software using the persistant home directory?
-
One of the items overlooked so far could be the system bios. I found on my test box that even after making a new partition and placing knoppix in the root of the new partition (fat32) that knoppix will not boot because the older bios does not see past a set number of gigabytes from the boot sector of the drive. Using a modern os can overcome the problem because it does not have that limitation. But since the disk is filled up past the point the bios recognizes, it will not see the other os.
My original problem was with a dell optiplex gx240 with a 120 gig drive.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I am not sure if I would be able to accept your explanation.
When you created a new partition, did not change the bootloader ? Are still using the older 'grub' (0.97) or you are using 'syslinux' now ?
If you haven't changed the bootloader, why do you say it is a bios problem ?
If you have changed the bootloader, how could not conclude that it is not a problem of mis-configuration of the new bootloader ?
"a modern os can overcome the problem" - in what way knoppix is not a "modern os" ? Seems that you are mixing bootloader issues with OS ( linux ).
-
This is from the grub manual.
18 : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS This error is returned when a read is attempted at a linear block address beyond the end of the BIOS translated area. This generally happens if your disk is larger than the BIOS can handle (512MB for (E)IDE disks on older machines or larger than 8GB in general).
-
Senior Member
registered user
There will always be the possibility of what you mentioned in grub man pages which matches with you are experiencing but the fact is that :-
1. You have already tried putting linux and minirt at hd(0,0).
2. You did not mention, but we presume that opensuse is at hd(0,5) and yet it is bootable.
Wouldn't knoppix kernel at hd(0,0), is at a smaller cyclinder compared to opensuse kernel ?
What I was trying to say is that your attempt to create a new partition (FAT32) to boot knoppix ***DOES NOT*** give you any new information. There is not new conclusion which can be drawn from it just by having KNOPPIX residing on a new partition ( more so when you are still using the same dubious bootloader ), and probably the more or less "suspicious" menu.lst configuration and syntax.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)
$150.00