Quote Originally Posted by mrbojangles View Post
To make sure that there is no problem with the iso file, I have copied the known good knoppix iso to a usb flash drive for use on the box in question. I am not sure if the original iso was bad because the download stopped a few times and had to be restarted. I will provide a more detailed post.
I suggest learning to use the md5 checksum. May take you only a minute or two of searching the web or reading the downloading FAQ, the test itself only takes about a minute (depending on system speed). If it passes then you know for certain that the download is good, if it fails then the download was bad.

If you downloaded by bittorrent then you likely have a good download, in spite of the restarts, as long as you let the download complete (and didn't rush to stop it as soon as you saw 100%). Bittorrent is self correcting that way. You could even deliberately corrupt the part that you have, restart bittorrent, and it will fix the damage as it completes the file. Still, is is a good idea to do the md5 test, it is simple and fast and beats fighting with problems created by a corupt ISO. If you didn't use the torrent then it is extremely likely that the download is bad. Heck, I was getting aboout 50% bad downloads from the mirrors before the torrents were available, even without any restarts!

md5 checksums are handy for several things. Once you are used to using them you may find additional uses than just verifying an ISO download.