Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Swap File Question???

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2

    Swap File Question???

    Hello

    I've been researching Knoppix and have a question about the swap file.

    Information seems to be sketchy and I can't quite figure out what the deal is with Knoppix and the swap. I sometimes use computers that don't belong to me. I don't want to leave a trace of any of my info in a swap file. As best as I can understand from reading, if a version of Linux is installed on the hard drive (of said computer) Knoppix will use the dedicated swap file space for scratch if it needs it. However it doesn't do this with other OS's like Mac OSX or Windows.

    1. Is this correct?

    2. If it is correct is there a way to disable it through CL or in a custom roll?

    Thank you for your help
    The Glump

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by theglump View Post
    Knoppix will use the dedicated swap file space for scratch if it needs it. However it doesn't do this with other OS's like Mac OSX or Windows.

    1. Is this correct?
    Yes.

    2. If it is correct is there a way to disable it through CL or in a custom roll?
    Use the knoppix cheatcode 'noswap'. Google around to find how to use a cheatcode.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2
    Would it be possible for someone in the know to tell users how to make a swap file on a Windows or Mac OSX box if they want to use one? Like I said above I don't want to use it but someone doing research that does want to may run across this thread because of the keywords in it. And I wouldn't mind knowing just in case. All I can find is what seems to be an old command of mkdosswapfile. I doubt that will work with newer versions of Windows. Thanks The Glump

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    The "newer versions of Windows" use a NTFS partition by default. I would absolutely never let Knoppix write to one of my NTFS partitions, and advise others to avoid trying to do this also. The risk of completely corrupting the partition is just too great.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW picture

Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW

$49.99



SAMSUNG 990 EVO PLUS 1TB PCIe 4.0 x4/ 5.0 x2 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V9S1T0B/AM) picture

SAMSUNG 990 EVO PLUS 1TB PCIe 4.0 x4/ 5.0 x2 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V9S1T0B/AM)

$189.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung 2TB 9100 PRO 14,700MB/s PCIe 5.0 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-VAP2T0B/AM) picture

Samsung 2TB 9100 PRO 14,700MB/s PCIe 5.0 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-VAP2T0B/AM)

$399.49



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra picture

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra

$13.99



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD picture

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD

$59.99



Samsung XE303 C12 Chromebook 11.6 1.7GHz, 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, working condition picture

Samsung XE303 C12 Chromebook 11.6 1.7GHz, 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, working condition

$42.00



QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black picture

QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black

$500.00