Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Persistent Changes V6.2.1

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Here is a link to pricing (~$23 with shipping) on the 8GB one I used. It's very fast, highly reliable, etc. If your BIOS will not boot to USB, you can use a CD and the command
    Code:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1
    or some such.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    Here is a link to pricing (~$23 with shipping) on the 8GB one...
    Or get the 8 gig one I have for 13.95 shipped or even $11.95 with the coupon code MLC114196101816NL1:

    http://www.meritline.com/a-data-c008...--p-55267.aspx

    I'm quite happy with it.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman View Post
    Or get the 8 gig one I have for 13.95 shipped or even $11.95 with the coupon code MLC114196101816NL1:

    http://www.meritline.com/a-data-c008...--p-55267.aspx

    I'm quite happy with it.
    Different strokes for different folks. I don't have one, but these reviews suggest that it's not ideal for storing your OS. I'd happily use one for (say) documents, but not for movies or Knoppix.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    Different strokes for different folks. I don't have one, but these reviews suggest that it's not ideal for storing your OS. I'd happily use one for (say) documents, but not for movies or Knoppix.

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    I'm not very impressed by the reviews. The reviewers don't strike me as very scientific or precise, and that's not the same drive anyway. I can tell you that my drive has a read speed of 13.01 MB/sec as reported by USBDeview, which is better than a class 6 SDHC flash card that I've tested and almost as good as some SanDisk Extremme III SDHC cards that I own (they read at 15.65 MB/S). The Write speed is a bit lower (5.84 MB/S vs 9.80 MB/S) but read speed is more the determining factor for booting an OS or playing video (while Write speed is more of an issue for camera SDHC cards). I'm not saying this device's spec will be up to the Verbaitum device you referenced, but for less than half the cost I think it is a reasonable option. It by far outperforms other (smaller) flash drives that I own. I would be interested if you could post what you actually measure the Verbatim speed to be.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



HP ProLiant BL460c Gen8 Blade Chassis w/2x Xeon E5-2630L 2.0GHz, 32GB RAM, No H picture

HP ProLiant BL460c Gen8 Blade Chassis w/2x Xeon E5-2630L 2.0GHz, 32GB RAM, No H

$144.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99