-
putting knoppix on a diet!
Hello and I would like to thank Mr. Knopper for showing the linux community what is possible. I very much enjoy booting my box with Knoppix and getting away from my "other" operating system.
I know that knoppix is a demonstration of how much software can be crammed on a cdr that will boot on about any pc without a hitch. I know people are working on smaller versions that will fit on a 3.5 inch cdr. I am a linux rookie and as I look through all the programs installed it looks like most of it can be omitted.
Knoppix-lite or whatever it should be called needs to have one program for each popular activity. It should be modeled as far as programs that are installed goes like Mac OSX. I am stating that Apple spent alot of effort to include enough software to actually do something right out of the box. Trim out all the fat and leave software that the average Joe will use.
I know I am on a soapbox but I think the linux universe needs to start contracting back together. There are too many distros. There are too many people re-inventing the wheel. My dream is of a linux that can boot and install like knoppix, the great looks and simplicity of Lycoris/Xandros/Lindow and free like debian.
Similar Threads
-
By Pengers in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-31-2004, 02:14 AM
-
By roberto in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server
$292.50

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server
$441.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00