-
Senior Member
registered user
A better CD encoder- you absolutely must try it.
If you have never tried this amazing app out then I suggest you do so a.s.a.p.- you will impressed.
apt-get install abcde (you gotta love Debian)
abcde /dev/scd0 or /dev/scd1 you may also use /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd or whatever you like.
It will query the CDDB, retrieve any and all artist/album/track info it can find, allow you to select and even edit the results you'd like to use.
Let it go and watch the show.
It will create a directory Artist/AlbumTitle, rip all tracks from an audio disc in /dev/whatever to .wav format, convert the .wav files to .ogg and correctly ID3tag each .ogg while maintaining the correct album sequence. (You may have used other programs that are outsmarted by '01' and '11')- not so with abcde. It will also remove the .wav files leaving you with a very nicely formatted, ripped, converted and ID3tagged album! This app rocks hard and that's just the default behavior folks! As always....man abcde
-
Senior Member
registered user
rickenbacherus,
how would you compare this to grip? better or the same?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Never mind. I'm trying it myself now. Of course the main difference is that this is a command line program. Nice.
-
Senior Member
registered user
It's true-I prefer the CLI. I use it to do anything and everything in regards to burning, ripping, copying, etc. What I liked most about abcde was 1)how hard is it to remember? 2)how much typing is there? 3)How many options do I have to remember? Of course the answers are not at all, very little, and none. It just couldn't be any easier. I keep a list of several examples using cdrecord, cdrdao, cdparanoia, etc. right by my machine for easy reference. I'd post it but I blatantly stole most of them from numerous places and would have no hope of crediting the authors with their explainations of the commands.
-
Digital Ogg Creation Steps
Here's my little routine:
Code:
1. cdparanoia -vQ // Query CD-Rom for # of Tracks
2. cdparanoia -vzX -B -- "-??" // ?? is the # of Tracks
3. normalize -vb *.wav // Batch mode, verbose.
4. oggenc -b 256 *.wav // Encode at 256 kbps using managed bitrates
5. rm *.wav
6. easytag // Tag the ogg files.
7. chmod -w *.ogg // Make Read-Only.
Guess I could make this into a script, but haven't gotten around to it. I've seen abcde on Freshmeat.net before. How configurable is it? If you need a good tagging / renaming program I highly recommend doing apt-get install easytag.
Similar Threads
-
By matty316 in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-30-2005, 06:19 PM
-
By dantheman10110 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Lot of 14 Micron 8GB DDR4-3200 PC4-3200AA SODIMM Laptop RAM MTA8ATF1G64HZ-3G2J1
$359.00

Samsung 64gb DDR4 ECC 288-Pin DIMM PC4-3200AA M393A2K40EB3-CWEBY
$449.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON
$149.99