Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Login issue with XP Pro

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2

    Login issue with XP Pro

    Hello there,

    I'm completely new here but have read (I think) all the relevant stickies but apologise if I missed one!

    I have a laptop running xp pro that I've booted to Knoppix STD in order to reset the Administrator password.

    After doing this, I still can't log in. I went back and checked what users were installed and also reset/unlocked the Guest password.

    Knoppix is adament that there is no password on the admin/guest accounts but I still cannot log in as any user.

    Is there a way to get into this machine? or am I into file recovery and re-installing?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    What methodology did you use to reset the passwords? I know it's not as simple as Win98 and friends used to be, but I'm not sure what to recommend in this case. Perhaps a link to something that tells what to do would be the best thing...

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Drackie View Post
    I have a laptop running xp pro that I've booted to Knoppix STD in order to reset the Administrator password.
    Wrong forum, post it to Knoppix STD forum please, here we know nothing about this "Knoppix STD".

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    Wrong forum, post it to Knoppix STD forum please, here we know nothing about this "Knoppix STD".
    Well, I know that STD was based on a very old version of Knoppix and it could not safely write to a NTFS disk. Therefor it must not have contained any tool for resetting a Windows password.

    I'm also of the belief that the current version of Knoppix can't safely write to NTFS either. And has no tools to recover Windows passwords.

    Having had to do it once, I also know that the password is stored in an encrypted or hashed form, and it takes a lot of computing to recover it. This isn't a cracker site and since I have no personal knowledge of the original poster, I have to say that it would be inappropriate to provide any help in breaking into a password protected system. He might be a perfectly fine guy, but he also could be someone with a stolen laptop, or someone trying to break into a work system or a roommate's computer. The computer was apparently password protected for a reason, how would you feel about a site if you password protected your computer but that site helped someone break into it?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2
    Harry,

    It was a long shot to ask and I respect that you do not wish this discussed here.

    I realise that this isn't much in the way of reassurance, I am genuine and do have legal access to the machine in question. I have taken on a system which has never been administered and the laptop was discovered in storage, with a note attached "don't know the password". Having all the disks and keys separated and zero records being kept of anything, I was hoping to gain access without a full re-install.

    I will respect your wishes and will not persue this further.

    For Krishna's curiosity I will PM the link to what I did (so as not to link it here).

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB  G3D picture

DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D

$142.50



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99