Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Login issue with XP Pro

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Drackie View Post
    I have a laptop running xp pro that I've booted to Knoppix STD in order to reset the Administrator password.
    Wrong forum, post it to Knoppix STD forum please, here we know nothing about this "Knoppix STD".

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    Wrong forum, post it to Knoppix STD forum please, here we know nothing about this "Knoppix STD".
    Well, I know that STD was based on a very old version of Knoppix and it could not safely write to a NTFS disk. Therefor it must not have contained any tool for resetting a Windows password.

    I'm also of the belief that the current version of Knoppix can't safely write to NTFS either. And has no tools to recover Windows passwords.

    Having had to do it once, I also know that the password is stored in an encrypted or hashed form, and it takes a lot of computing to recover it. This isn't a cracker site and since I have no personal knowledge of the original poster, I have to say that it would be inappropriate to provide any help in breaking into a password protected system. He might be a perfectly fine guy, but he also could be someone with a stolen laptop, or someone trying to break into a work system or a roommate's computer. The computer was apparently password protected for a reason, how would you feel about a site if you password protected your computer but that site helped someone break into it?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2
    Harry,

    It was a long shot to ask and I respect that you do not wish this discussed here.

    I realise that this isn't much in the way of reassurance, I am genuine and do have legal access to the machine in question. I have taken on a system which has never been administered and the laptop was discovered in storage, with a note attached "don't know the password". Having all the disks and keys separated and zero records being kept of anything, I was hoping to gain access without a full re-install.

    I will respect your wishes and will not persue this further.

    For Krishna's curiosity I will PM the link to what I did (so as not to link it here).

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Amiga Commodore A500  - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage picture

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage

$200.00



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Abacus Software Commodore 128 C-128 Book Lot 8 BASIC 7.0 CP/M CAD Manuals picture

Abacus Software Commodore 128 C-128 Book Lot 8 BASIC 7.0 CP/M CAD Manuals

$500.00



Commodore 64 Vintage Computer System *PARTS/AS IS* picture

Commodore 64 Vintage Computer System *PARTS/AS IS*

$70.00



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on picture

RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on

$70.00



Commodore 64 Drive Alignment & Utility Diskette picture

Commodore 64 Drive Alignment & Utility Diskette

$9.99