-
SATA h/w RAID volume not detected
Hi,
I have a HP workstation xw4200 with a SATA controller that can be configured as a stand-alone SATA controller (no RAID) or in full f/w RAID 0, 1 or ... mode. In my configuration it is set up in a RAID 1 mode, presenting the two 160 GB disks as one mirrored set.
Windows installation detected only one disk, being the mirrored volume. Installation of Windows succeeded. Windows presents the RAID controller as a standard disk (such as IDE) and did not require specific drivers to be installed.
Now I want to copy information I put aside back to this RAID volume, using knoppix.
Problem is knoppix only reports the two individual disks, not the RAID volume.
I can see the RAID set but the status says "RAID is not available".
fdisk -l only lists the individual disks, not the RAID set.
My question: what can I do to mount this RAID volume?
Thanks for any information that could help,
Pat
-
Senior Member
registered user
Open Synaptic package manager and search for dmraid. Then see here: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataRaid.
YMMV
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rusty
But the documentation you pointed to says SATA Raid or software raid. I don't have the hardware, and have not played with the hardware, but the original poster says he has sata hardware raid .....
-
Senior Member
registered user
I meant to point the OP in the direction of dmraid, and also mdadm. The link I posted states:
The RAID support offered by most Serial ATA disk controllers is
not hardware RAID. Instead it can best be classified as "software RAID provided by the BIOS of the controller".
I dont have the hardware either, and as it turns out the 6.0.1 version of Knoppix has dmraid and mdadm installed, so hopefully the OP can give them a try without downloading anything.
-
What kind of SATA controller is actually responsible for the array? It doesn't sound like an "actual" array (e.g. hardware RAID), so you'll probably have to re-setup the RAID using mdadm when using Knoppix.
Tags for this Thread
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Hynix 8x 8GB DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-2400T Server Memory RDIMM HMA81GR7MFR8N-UH
$450.00

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$169.95

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY
$229.00

MIXED *LOT OF 33* DESKTOP MEMORY RAM
$400.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$288.19

Hynix & Samsun (Lot Of 36) 4GB 2Rx8 PC3L-10600R DDR3 Server Memory 144GB Total
$120.00