-
Junior Member
registered user
Looking for suggestions regarding hard drive
I've finally got Knoppix working, it's really neat.
I managed to figure out how to save the home and configs onto a zip disk. However, I'd like to save larger files (mainly so I can get Java Web Start to work).
I read the FAQ, and found out that I can't write to NTFS.
I have two hard drives, the second of which is only 2 GB and totally empty. I wouldn't mind reformatting that one to whatever format Knoppix can read and write to.
How do I do this, without mangling anything? It's no big deal if my WinXP booted of the primary hard drive cannot see the second, smaller hard drive.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can change the partition(s) on the drive to linux with Qtparted which is included in the latest versions of knoppix. You should make two partitions one for the /swap file that knoppix will use if it finds one of at least 256mb and type swap and the rest of the drive for a linux partition of either a type ext3 or reiser. The program is very easy to use so you should have no problems.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Stephen
You can change the partition(s) on the drive to linux with Qtparted which is included in the latest versions of knoppix. You should make two partitions one for the /swap file that knoppix will use if it finds one of at least 256mb and type swap and the rest of the drive for a linux partition of either a type ext3 or reiser. The program is very easy to use so you should have no problems.
For a 2GB HD, what's a reasonable swap partition size?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
fhayashi
For a 2GB HD, what's a reasonable swap partition size?
The general recomendation is twice the amount of RAM in your computer. It has nothing to do with the size of the HD except for the space required to have the partition, 256mb should be enough you can go with more if you want.
-
Senior Member
registered user
except for heavily loaded machine, I can't see why more than 256M swap is needed. Well, I did see Window ME expand the swap file size to 2G and I was only browsing the internet and I already have 320M RAM. Window ME is really a piece of crap.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Stephen

Originally Posted by
fhayashi
For a 2GB HD, what's a reasonable swap partition size?
The general recomendation is twice the amount of RAM in your computer. It has nothing to do with the size of the HD except for the space required to have the partition, 256mb should be enough you can go with more if you want.
I've got 384 MB RAM, but 768 MB for swap seems kind of large...
Would 512 MB be noticeably better than 256 MB?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
fhayashi
I've got 384 MB RAM, but 768 MB for swap seems kind of large...
Would 512 MB be noticeably better than 256 MB?
It can't hurt anything if it needs the swap that size it will use it if not you just have less space left for the other partition. Give it a try you can always re-partition to 256 if you find it does not need the 512mb.
Similar Threads
-
By Ezor in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 01:59 AM
-
By Bodhi in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-11-2004, 02:19 AM
-
By sonicspeedway in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-11-2004, 01:55 AM
-
By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 19
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
-
By freeballer in forum The Lounge
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 05:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00

Intel Core i7-11700KF 3.60GHz 8 Core SRKNN 16 Thread LGA 1200 USED
$180.00

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99