Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: saving time zone?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30

    saving time zone?

    I find that the time zone I set will not survive a reboot. I set the correct system time and time zone by typing 'sudo time-admin' in the lxterm. Then I type 'sudo hwclock -w' which I thought would save the settings after rebooting. However after booting I always have to reset the correct timezone again. This is necessary because I use Tor and it requires the correct time and timezone to work properly.
    Any advice so I don't have to keep resetting?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... if you are using Knoppix 6.2 there is a mistake in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autostart. Have a look at
    http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/uhrzeit.html
    for more information (in german language written).

    Greetings
    Werner

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30
    I am using 6.3 which I got from a magazine. Unfortunately I don't understand German.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    # part of /etc/init.d/knoppix-autostart:
    #
    # Set timezone
    KTZ="$(getbootparam tz)"
    [ -n "$KTZ" ] || KTZ="$(getbootparam timezone)"
    [ -n "$KTZ" -a "$KTZ" != "auto" ] && TZ="$KTZ"
    if [ -n "$TZ" ]; then
    echo "$TZ" > /etc/timezone
    # this will remove /etc/localtime
    rm -f /etc/localtime
    # /usr/share/zoneinfo/localtime is a symlink to /etc/localtime
    # but /etc/localtime doesn't exist any more.
    # Therefore the second part of the if-loop will not work
    [ -r /usr/share/zoneinfo/"$TZ" ] \
    && { cp -f /usr/share/zoneinfo/"$TZ" /etc/localtime; }
    fi

    If this mistake is also in Knoppix 6.3 you must uncomment the lines of the if-loop

    Greetings
    Werner

  5. #5

    Set Time Knoppix hd install

    I have been fighting this for a week. Just found a solution: from root: 1)dpkg-reconfigure tzdata 2)date MMDDHHmmCCYY 3)hwclock --localtime 4)hwclock --systohc It survived a reboot. Take care.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    I have been fighting this for a week. Just found a solution: from root: 1)dpkg-reconfigure tzdata 2)date MMDDHHmmCCYY 3)hwclock --localtime 4)hwclock --systohc It survived a reboot. Take care.
    I did as you suggested but when I reboot my hardware clock is set to UTC time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, 4.5TB,  (4) HDD,  EXCELLENT COND. picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, 4.5TB, (4) HDD, EXCELLENT COND.

$625.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50