Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: saving time zone?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30

    saving time zone?

    I find that the time zone I set will not survive a reboot. I set the correct system time and time zone by typing 'sudo time-admin' in the lxterm. Then I type 'sudo hwclock -w' which I thought would save the settings after rebooting. However after booting I always have to reset the correct timezone again. This is necessary because I use Tor and it requires the correct time and timezone to work properly.
    Any advice so I don't have to keep resetting?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... if you are using Knoppix 6.2 there is a mistake in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autostart. Have a look at
    http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/uhrzeit.html
    for more information (in german language written).

    Greetings
    Werner

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30
    I am using 6.3 which I got from a magazine. Unfortunately I don't understand German.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    # part of /etc/init.d/knoppix-autostart:
    #
    # Set timezone
    KTZ="$(getbootparam tz)"
    [ -n "$KTZ" ] || KTZ="$(getbootparam timezone)"
    [ -n "$KTZ" -a "$KTZ" != "auto" ] && TZ="$KTZ"
    if [ -n "$TZ" ]; then
    echo "$TZ" > /etc/timezone
    # this will remove /etc/localtime
    rm -f /etc/localtime
    # /usr/share/zoneinfo/localtime is a symlink to /etc/localtime
    # but /etc/localtime doesn't exist any more.
    # Therefore the second part of the if-loop will not work
    [ -r /usr/share/zoneinfo/"$TZ" ] \
    && { cp -f /usr/share/zoneinfo/"$TZ" /etc/localtime; }
    fi

    If this mistake is also in Knoppix 6.3 you must uncomment the lines of the if-loop

    Greetings
    Werner

  5. #5

    Set Time Knoppix hd install

    I have been fighting this for a week. Just found a solution: from root: 1)dpkg-reconfigure tzdata 2)date MMDDHHmmCCYY 3)hwclock --localtime 4)hwclock --systohc It survived a reboot. Take care.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    I have been fighting this for a week. Just found a solution: from root: 1)dpkg-reconfigure tzdata 2)date MMDDHHmmCCYY 3)hwclock --localtime 4)hwclock --systohc It survived a reboot. Take care.
    I did as you suggested but when I reboot my hardware clock is set to UTC time.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
    I did as you suggested but when I reboot my hardware clock is set to UTC time.
    I do believe you are trying to change your time using Live CD. I did hd install from 6.2.1 menu and then copied Knoppix from CD to desktop. You need to be a little more specific.

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    I do believe you are trying to change your time using Live CD. I did hd install from 6.2.1 menu and then copied Knoppix from CD to desktop. You need to be a little more specific.
    "HD install" is for a few specific purposes (mostly re-mastering), but it isn't really that good for use as a "Linux system." Better to use the "Flash install", which avoids the "chroot'd environment" that causes so many anomalous characteristics not suitable for a working system. Clock changes as described should work better, too!

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    "HD install" is for a few specific purposes (mostly re-mastering), but it isn't really that good for use as a "Linux system." Better to use the "Flash install", which avoids the "chroot'd environment" that causes so many anomalous characteristics not suitable for a working system. Clock changes as described should work better, too!

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    I am definitely finding that to be the case, Krishna. I am a newbie. I have loaded Debian full, and PCLinuxOS. Since I am not in any real need for usage, just learning and playing around. I decided to stick with the HD install a bit longer. Hard to get around losing your word processor on a full upgrade.... still I think I will poke and prod a bit longer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99