Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: sym link to /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf & hd install

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New Jersey USA
    Posts
    17

    sym link to /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf & hd install

    Hi,

    I've done a hard drive install of Knoppix 3.2 versions 5/3/03 and 5/21/03, and I've noticed that after adding a new user account, I could not launch kppp dial-up tool. I then found that permissions needed to be manually set, which I did. After setting up kppp, I was still getting 'unknown host' error messages, speciffically under ver 5/21/03. After poking, I found that there is a sym link from /etc/resolv.conf to /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf and that neither of them is auto configured. When running Knoppix from CD-ROM, I've never had to edit /etc/resolv.conf which I liked over Red Hat version 6.1 that I had tried years ago, as its documentation was useless for newbies on getting connected to the net. Moreover, running from CD there is no sym link. What's up with that? This is a stumbling block for new users. Does it also imply that the nameserver ip address is a default value of some kind and not a static value? I've added read/write permissions for both /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf and noticed that they are not updated after connecting. Can anyone shed some more light on this? Each time I did hd-install, I followed exactly the same steps to add startup programs in the script.

    Sincerely,

    Joseph Schiller

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: sym link to /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf & hd install

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Schiller
    Hi,

    I've done a hard drive install of Knoppix 3.2 versions 5/3/03 and 5/21/03, and I've noticed that after adding a new user account, I could not launch kppp dial-up tool. I then found that permissions needed to be manually set, which I did.
    You probably had to add your new user to the dailup group with the adduser command. eg. adduser < username > dailup. While you are adding the user to the dial up you may want to check which other groups the user belongs too with either groups or id commands. I would recomend adding the user to the floppy, cdrom and audio groups to save yourself further problems. The adduser command as root in a console window.

Similar Threads

  1. /etc/resolv.conf is good but DNS is not working
    By darthspacey in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 02:51 AM
  2. Modprobe.conf missing after HD install in 2.6.7 kernel boot
    By sssssm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 06:23 PM
  3. After Install: How do I preserve my /etc/modules.conf?
    By shin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 04:58 AM
  4. edited /etc/resolv.conf will not stick
    By Geist3 in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-01-2003, 12:49 PM
  5. Link to HDD Install - Excellent Documentation
    By lindleyrl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 12:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$128.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version picture

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version

$136.15



Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$199.00



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99