Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: network manager 0.8.1

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    13

    network manager 0.8.1

    I really like the network-manager that comes with Knoppix 6.2.1. It's currently version 0.7.1. I noticed on the network manager page: http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/, that version 0.8.1 is out and it supports bluetooth DUN, something I've been struggling to get working, with only partial success.

    I tried compiling version 0.8.1, but have been hitting a few snags. Just want to know has anyone on here gotten Network-manager 0.8.1 working? If there is an easier way than trying to compile from the source, pls let me know.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Just bring up Synaptic Package Manager, set the preferred distribution to testing or unstable, you will see that network manager 0.8.1 is listed there. Select it and upgrade.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    13
    Thanks for the tip. I gave it a try, selecting network-manager. Synaptic chose to install, upgrade and remove certain packages from my system, and it took about 15 minutes of downloading and installing. At the end, network-manager was still version 0.7, and other things stopped working (konqueror for example). A few dialog boxes popped up during the process that I did not pay close attention to, I suppose I should have.

    Has anyone managed to get network-manager 0.8.1 installed through synaptic?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    13
    One thing that I thought might be an issue, is that network manager is managing my network connection, and that I need to download data to perform the upgrade. I wonder if this might cause some problems, upgrading a software while it is being used?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    That's me, I am currently using network-manager 0.8.1, but I never notice anything which allows me to configure bluetooth DUN.

    In any case, because of package conflicts problem in knoppix, your upgrade to unstable/testing may not have succeeded. I have been through that once. Now almost all my packages are in 'unstable/testing'. I can't remember exactly what it took me to get pass the package conflict thingie. Perhaps someone else could help. Sorry unable to provide further assistance to this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I started with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -t testing --reinstall install network-manager network-manager-gnome network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome network-manager-vpnc network-manager-vpnc-gnome resolvconf avahi-autoipd modemmanager mobile-broadband-provider-info gnome-bluetooth nautilus-sendto gnome-user-share libmagickcore3-extra libparted0-dev libparted0-i18n tclreadline cryptsetup comgt
    and got the following error message
    Preparing to replace ppp 2.4.4rel-10.1 (using .../archives/ppp_2.4.5-4_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement ppp ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/ppp_2.4.5-4_i386.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite '/etc/chatscripts/gprs', which is also in package ppp-scripts-knoppix 0:0.6-2
    My solution was to replace the old script with the new one.
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-confnew,overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/ppp_2.4.5-4_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -a --configure
    There were no more errors. Therefore I restarted the Xserver by hitting the key combination Ctrl-Alt-Backspace in order to replace the running network manager applet

    Not all of the packages are really needed but many of them were recommended. I cannot say whether /etc/chatscripts/gprs works since I do not use ppp.

    I suggest that you test this with the live CD first.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(LOT of 8) Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12 DDR4 Cisco Server RAM Tested 100% picture

(LOT of 8) Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12 DDR4 Cisco Server RAM Tested 100%

$1299.99



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$489.96



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S  2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory picture

16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S 2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory

$27.95



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW picture

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW

$1.39



Lot of 2 SK Hynix 8GB DDR4 2133MHz PC4-2133P 2Rx8 Desktop RAM HMA41GU6AFR8N-TF picture

Lot of 2 SK Hynix 8GB DDR4 2133MHz PC4-2133P 2Rx8 Desktop RAM HMA41GU6AFR8N-TF

$171.37