-
Restore Windows Registry
Hello,
This is my first post on this forum.
I am trying to clean a laptop of a virus infection. The laptop was running Windows XP.
I followed my standard routing for virus repair, which is to use Malware Bytes and Avast (and Rkill, if needed) in safe mode to remove the infection.
However, this time, I ran into a snag. I believe the virus modified the registry or the startup somehow, and it was damaged when I uninstalled the virus components.
When I boot XP, I get a message along the lines of 'Cannot find/run lsass' After this, it gives me a black screen, and nothing. No task manager, no cmd, nothing.
I attempted to repair the registry using the original Windows CD, but it wants to know the Administrator password for the computer, and no one knows what it is.
So, my question comes down to this: Can I use Knoppix to either (A), reset the Administrator password, or (B), repair the registry so I can get the computer started?
I'm fairly good at following instructions, so if there's a way to do it, if you could direct me to a walkthrough or let me know the steps, that would be great.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
CommieHunter
..... So, my question comes down to this: Can I use Knoppix to either (A), reset the Administrator password, or (B), repair the registry so I can get the computer started?.....
Years of watching problem reports from others has convinced me that it is never safe to write to NTFS partitions with Knoppix. (to be completely honest there are those who think they have done it without damage, but it is a risk to do so at the very least.)
And Knoppix has no tools to reset the admin password or muck with the registery
So my answer is no, Knoppix should not be used to try to do what you want.
However, Knoppix can be used to recover files from your system, and once you have the backups (that you really should have already backed up if the data is important), you can then go ahead and reinstall Windows (assuming that you still want Windows). I prefer to back up across a network to another computer (I install a FTP server on the other computer and use a browser under Knoppix as an FTP client), but you could also back up to flash drives, or in some cases burn CDs or DVDs.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$169.95

DDR3 DDR4 DDR5 Laptop to Desktop Memory Adapter Card SO-DIMM To PC DIMM Lot
$92.59

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95

16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S 2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory
$27.95

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY
$229.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$288.19

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00