Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How do I update Java, Flash, and Opera?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3

    Question How do I update Java, Flash, and Opera?

    Do I use sudo apt-get install?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    That's one way to do it! Linux is justly famous for having MANY ways to do everything, more or less. There are command line apt-tools like apt-get and aptitude, as well as GUI tools like the synaptic package manager on the Knoppix Preferences menu. Keep in mind that ***apt*** is not the only way, either; there's gdebi to install a manually downloaded .deb archive, as well as the underlying facility of dpkg. I even set the GUI to auto run gdebi whenever I double-click-to-run a .deb archive from e.g. the Desktop.

    These are not the only tools out there, either. There are far more than I know - I just learn about them as I go, and muse on how I (we) came to be so fortunate in having the Linux/open-source community writing LOTS of code, forums like this one, wikis, FAQs, etc. for my (our) use. I highly recommend that you READ the documentation, both by searching online and from the terminal command-line by typing e.g. man dpkg, man aptitude, etc.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD

$279.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM Power8 Server Control Panel Assembly FRU PN: 00E1966 Tested Working picture

IBM Power8 Server Control Panel Assembly FRU PN: 00E1966 Tested Working

$19.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB  G3D picture

DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D

$142.50