Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: where is the save configuration menu item?

  1. #1

    where is the save configuration menu item?

    I am an ubuntu user and just tried knoppix from DVD the first time. I downloaded KNOPPIX_V6.2.1DVD-2010-01-31-EN.iso, burned it to a DVD and it booted beautifully. I changed some settings and now want to save them. Here are the instructions:

    Save Knoppix Configuration

    This can be launched from the Knoppix Menu -> Configure -> Save
    Knoppix configuration. It saves many configuration settings and also
    your /home directory into a file. It also creates a script knoppix.sh
    which will run at the next reboot to load the saved settings.

    To load the saved configuration at the next reboot, enter the cheat
    code knoppix myconfig=<path to where config was saved>.
    However, I looked carefully and could not find a "save knoppix configuration" item. I tried saveconfig on the command line, but the command was not recognized. What is it I am not getting? Everything else appears to work fine. I even have immediate write access to my harddrive.

  2. #2
    It looks like this topic was addressed here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...+configuration. However, I am trying to use knoppix on a windows computer at work, and somehow the IT people managed it that I can't boot off of the flash drive (knoppix boot starts but gets stuck very quickly). In any case, is there a way to do it "the old way" where you use the DVD/CD and save both configuration file and home directory to a file on a flash drive?

  3. #3
    It is misleading. Apparently the language was carried over from previous versions. However, I have heard it said that the method for doing this can be accomplished using the install to flash disk, and booting from the flash disk - with 5 GB space allocated for home. I currently use 6.2.1 HD install, which should only be used for remastering - so it is said. Be advised, until someone fixes it if you do HD install, and do not comment out all but "stable", "lenny", and "volitile" in /etc/spt/sources.list - OpenOffice will break, no word program. I like it as is.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    It is misleading. Apparently the language was carried over from previous versions. However, I have heard it said that the method for doing this can be accomplished using the install to flash disk, and booting from the flash disk - with 5 GB space allocated for home. I currently use 6.2.1 HD install, which should only be used for remastering - so it is said. Be advised, until someone fixes it if you do HD install, and do not comment out all but &quot;stable&quot;, &quot;lenny&quot;, and &quot;volitile&quot; in /etc/spt/sources.list - OpenOffice will break, no word program. I like it as is.
    Sorry... should have read /etc/apt/sources.list

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US picture

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US

$125.98



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.26



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00