Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix as VirtualBox guest, changing resolutions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix as VirtualBox guest, changing resolutions

    When I boot knoppix as a VirtualBox guest, it sets itself to a 1024x768 resolution and refuses to change, I tried the screen cheat code and it didn't work and editing xorg.conf and ctrl+alt+backspace didn't help (I hopefully edited it correctly)

    Please help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Knoppix xorg.conf is script generated, /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx will start up the X window, calling /sbin/mkxorgconfig to generated the xorg.conf. Editing xorg.conf has no effect as it will be overwritten by mkxorgconfig. If you would like to use a custom xorg.conf, either you edit /sbin/mkxorgconfig or /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx, or you disable the said mechanism above. Whichever it is, after which you will have a customization of your own.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2
    I only want to force a specific resolution, It doesn't allow to change resolutions via X11.

    I think this is because it decides to use fbdev, I can use the fbresxres cheat code but I wonder if it's possible to get other resolutions to, VirtualBox also allows to use vesa before you install the guest additions (I need it in LiveCD mode under this VM) but then seems to only allow 640x480 and 800x600.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    I think knoppix is using an "inferior" driver for displaying X under virtualbox.

    I happen to have access to a distro which is tuned for virtualbox ( slitaz ), the said distro for virtualbox dynamically changes X resolution according to the size you have set for the virtualbox window in the host, this is similar in behaviour with a Windows XP running under virtualbox. I believe both of them are using the guest additions specifics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping

$54.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU picture

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU

$1100.00



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95