Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How to start Boinc service after boot?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2

    Question How to start Boinc service after boot?

    Hello,

    I am running boinc on my 2GB usb stick install, but I have to start the service manually via terminal after the boot. It is a bit confusing how to start service in linux - I tried to put the command to the rc.local, but nothing starts. I also tried update-rc.d boinc-client defaults 98, it says "System start/stop links for boinc-client already exists", but nothing starts after the boot.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Also - I guess by similar trick it should be possible to disable startup and shutdown sounds - what to edit to get these rid of?

    Jose

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    What's the command in the terminal? It should work in rc.local, I think. There's a cheatcode that disables the startup/shutdown sounds, I believe - look in the file cheatcodes.txt in the KNOPPIX folder on the CD.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2
    Hi Krishna,

    thanks for your reply.

    In rc.local I tried

    /etc/init.d/boinc-client
    /etc/init.d/boinc-client start - which is, I believe, nonsense, but it illustrates well my despair .

    I put it before the section "do_start () ...."

    Regarding the sounds, I thought there would be some script which can be disabled. Or at least change the file which is being played. It would be quite inconvenient to use a cheatcode every time I boot

    Jose

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by jose76 View Post
    Regarding the sounds, I thought there would be some script which can be disabled. Or at least change the file which is being played. It would be quite inconvenient to use a cheatcode every time I boot .
    ... the sounds are /usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg and shutdown.ogg. You can exchange the sounds with sounds you better like and give those the same name or delete the sounds. You also can uncomment the lines in the scripts
    "/etc/init.d/knoppix-halt" and "/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45knoppix"

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP EliteBook 830 G8 Core I7-1185G7 3.00GHz Laptop 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD picture

HP EliteBook 830 G8 Core I7-1185G7 3.00GHz Laptop 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD

$250.00



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98



Lenovo ThinkStation P520 Intel Xeon W-2245 8-Core 3.90GHz - NO RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520 Intel Xeon W-2245 8-Core 3.90GHz - NO RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$359.98