-
I appreciate your reply, but it doesn't address my question, which is how to mount a persistent filesystem from HD.
Some counterpoints:
1. Availability of CD/DVD boot is far more reliable than USB on older hardware. yes, I'm aware that I can clone knoppix to USB, then use a CD to boot and point to the USB for the root FS. I don't want to do that.
2. If I'm running a config within MS Virtual PC (and I do), I cannot use USB, period. I can however mount the ISO (from HD), so the speed difference between Knoppix on CD vs, Knoppix on HD is nominal (though I'm still taking a memory hit), therefore, no need to have the disc in the physical drive. Also, if I run multiple vms, I can use the same ISO image to host each of them - meaning FAR less disk usage. Dunno about you, but _I_ believe in backups, and as a result, I'm a bit picky about wasting storage space.
3. Raw speed is less of an issue as compared to needing to back up multiple copies of the data.
4. persistent fs overlay images allow for cloning stable configs - I can copy the data file for safekeeping, and easily "roll back" to it if necessary.
Mostly, I just need to update some CPAN stuff, and say, fprot or clamav to use a knoppix boot to check suspect files on a network share. Knoppix is not my primary work environment, so I'd just as soon not dedicate 8GB+ of my HD to it just to run a few tools, when half a gig would more than suffice.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day
$188.24

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99