Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: "Permission denied" error trying to copy C:\users\ files in KNOPPIX

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1

    Unhappy "Permission denied" error trying to copy C:\users\ files in KNOPPIX

    My windows 7 laptop won't start up anywhere past the windows logo so I'm trying to backup my files in C:\Users\Rainz3d\* to an external hard-drive using a KNOPPPIX disc. I boot up KNOPPIX fine, and can get into C:\Users, but I can't open the Rainz3d directory. It keeps saying "permission denied". I tried right-clicking the folder and changing the permissions in properties, but it says "operation denied" and reverts. Is there a way around this? I'm using the most up-to-date KNOPPIX disc, but I've never used KNOPPIX before in my life. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    If the external drive is NTFS formatted, I would avoid writing to it, there is a chance that Knoppix could corrupt it beyond recovery. I prefer to salvage files by transferring them to another computer on a network. However, if the external drive is formatted with some flavor of the fat format file system you can write to it just fine. You may need to mount it read/write rather than read only. See the man page for mount for details (type man mount at a console prompt).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00