-
Accidentally installed over sda (main OS) - now can't boot - help!
Hi Guys,
I was very excited to get knoppix 6.4 from the recent LinuxMag, and decided to install it on my flash disk using the "install to flash disk" utility. However, at the screen where I was supposed to select my flash card (sdb), I accidentally clicked on my laptop's harddisk (sda)! (Argh! dang this slippery mouse!)
A split second later, realizing I've made a mistake, I tried to cancel the installation but I couldn't (there's no stop/cancel button), I quickly clicked the close window button, which made the window disappear but not the process apparently. A few secs later up pops another window reporting the installation errors... bummer..!
I then shutdown my laptop and tried to boot up as usual, hoping for the best, but noo0..! I couldn't boot up! (argh! dang this cheap slippery mouse!)
Now I get an error message saying:
SYSLINUX 4.02 debian-20101014 EDD Copyright (C) 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al
ERROR: No configuration file found
No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
boot:_
and it just hangs there with a blinking cursor...
Help guys! How can I rescue my laptop back? I had Mint 9 and Windows Vista on it - and I'm fairly new to Linux (know a few simple commands to copy and remove files at the cli but nothing much beyond that, GRUB, partitioning and boot-up problems are definitely not my league) Please, a detailed step-by-step guide wd be very much appreciated!
Please help!
Panicked penguin
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

LENOVO THINKSTATION P920 XEON GOLD 6128 3.4GHz 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$1550.00

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00