Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Win4Lin

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    17

    Win4Lin

    Hi all-As a proud owner of the new version of Win4Lin I have been dreaming of my ideal distro. Knoppix with W4L included. Is this possible?
    TIA-Tbobz

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Win4Lin

    Quote Originally Posted by tbobz
    Hi all-As a proud owner of the new version of Win4Lin I have been dreaming of my ideal distro. Knoppix with W4L included. Is this possible?
    TIA-Tbobz
    No it is a commercial product.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Knoppix does include the bochs emulator though. I have played with it a little bit, but was unable to get to work completely. I noticed it was recently updated so if you're interested you may want to try that.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    17
    Stephen-I have understood from other posts in these forums that in a personal remaster one could include non free software. Is this not so? If it is, then my question remains. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was just wondering if it were technically possible to remaster Knoppix with a functioning version of W4L. I would love to be able to access my scramdisks.
    Yours-Tbobz

    Aay-I tried bochsconf but received a message that neither bximage or create disk was found. Any tips?

    Anyway, thanks to both of you for your responses.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by tbobz
    Aay-I tried bochsconf but received a message that neither bximage or create disk was found. Any tips?
    I tried to get bochs working once with Win 98. After a good deal of tweaking it was actually going pretty well. I got the Win 98 disk to boot. Unfortunatley I had this wierd quirk where windows was trying to start installing, and then it gave me some sort of message that it couldn't find the Win 98 cd. I messed with it for a while but never could get that issue resolved. Maybe I'll try it again sometime. My best advice is to look at the documentation here: http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

    Be prepared to roll up your sleaves though. I didn't find it to be the easiest process.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by tbobz
    Stephen-I have understood from other posts in these forums that in a personal remaster one could include non free software. Is this not so? If it is, then my question remains. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was just wondering if it were technically possible to remaster Knoppix with a functioning version of W4L. I would love to be able to access my scramdisks.
    Yours-Tbobz
    I see, yes you can re-master and add non-free software you should check the liscense of win4lin to see if this is allowed to be included in a re-master for your personal use. As to whether you can get it to work the only way to find out would be to give it a try I have never used W4L so can not comment on that aspect.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Isn't the win4lin kernel freely available on the Net? A knoppix remaster with that kernel would be very useful because you simply could install the win4lin userland applications into your (persistent) home.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Your're right about the win4lin kernel. It's freely downloadable here , but freely downloadable doesn't mean completely free. I don't think their kernel is available under the gpl. So I doubt it could be included in Knoppix. If I'm wrong about the gpl tell me, because it would be neat to do this. Hopefully most peole know that having a win4lin enabled kernel does you no good unless you have their other software which will enable you to run windows (98 and ME) in linux. I've got it and I think it's a pretty good product, but I haven't really messed with it since I was running Red Hat.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    I don't think their kernel is available under the gpl. So I doubt it could be included in Knoppix. If I'm wrong about the gpl tell me, because it would be neat to do this.
    A GPL product (such as the Linux kernel) cannot be legally modified without making the modification also GPL. Paragraph 2 b) of the GPL says:
    "You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License. "
    So, the win4lin kernel is also GPL.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Very true. Why the heck didn't I think of that. I doubt Klaus would do this but it would be nice to have a Knoppix disk that would do this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. have win4lin...where-did-it-go?
    By helios17 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 09:31 PM
  2. Win4Lin
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 01:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory picture

Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory

$399.99



LOT OF 8 Micron 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 MTA36ASF2G72PZ SERVER MEMORY ECC picture

LOT OF 8 Micron 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 MTA36ASF2G72PZ SERVER MEMORY ECC

$500.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Lot Of 5 Samsung 16GB  2Rx4 PC3-14900R Server Memory RAM M393B2G70DB0, WORKING picture

Lot Of 5 Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC3-14900R Server Memory RAM M393B2G70DB0, WORKING

$69.99