-
(important) Virus scanning w/knoppix
Hi, my windows is currently unusable due to a virus, not even in safe mode, so I burned knoppix to my 700mb disk (I have another one inside too, I have two dvd drives) and I was told that there is a live installer for f-prot but not finding it anywhere. The screen looks like this.
ADRIANE
0 Press enter for help, arrow down for next menu
1 WWW
2 E-mail
3 Chat
4 SMS
5 Multimedia
6 Contacts
7 Notebook
8 Text Scanner
9 File Manager
10 Shell
11 Graphical Programs
12 Setup
13 Shutdown
Is it possible to get f-prot on the disk on my other drive?
Btw, im so far very impressed with the capabilities of knoppix, I can go on the internet and delete and move files and everything! Its awsome considering its running off a disk.
-
Not seing an edit button anywhere... so, yeah im in the main os where I can browse all my files and play that game and use the applications and stuff but still nothing. Do you need to enter your internet information first and then does it come up or something?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Talking to yourself?
Do you really want to be using the ADRIANE version? Most people do not.
From a lot of experience on this site watching others report major corruption after writing to NTFs partitions with Knoppix, I just don't believe it is safe at any time, and certainly not a good idea when trying to deal with other Windoes problems. My recommendation is always to use Knoppix (usually the non-ADRIANE version) to backup the files that you should have already backed up and then reinstall Windows from scratch.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Ah, I see now. I want the 3rd one down from http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/ right?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
What you want I can't say. What I want when I download Knoppix from the torrents is the one without ADRIANE in the name, and the letters EN and not DE in the name.
My caution about writing to NTFS with Knoppix is the same no matter which version you select.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Yeah... thing is last time I did a direct download from a mirror which didnt make it out as clearly as on the torrents list.
And about NTFS... I dont mind too much if it gets corrupted and I have to do a fresh install, i'm just checking out my options before I do.
I didnt have anything massively important on there.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I had about 50% bad downloads from the mirrors before the torrents became available, and the torrents are much faster too.
One concern that I have about NTFS corruption is that sometimes it happens immediately (which would prevent the recovery of anything that you want), but sometimes it happens but isn't evident until days or weeks later. People think everything is fine, then suffer the loss of everything they could have salvaged and also any new work they did. My rule is still simply to not write to Windows NTFS partitions with Knoppix (FAT partitions are safe). I guess I might make an exception if I absolutely positively was going to reinstall immediately after even if it looked like no damage was done, but it just seems easier to recover what is desired with Knoppix and then wipe out the infected drive with a fresh install.
Last edited by Harry Kuhman; 12-18-2010 at 05:58 PM.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
By the sounds of this, I think i'd better user a bootable antivirus to see if it can do anything about it then backup and fresh install as a last resort.
Thanks for you help, I dont think I need any more assistance
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$259.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00

Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC
$73.00