Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: dd_resue error

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2

    dd_resue error

    Hi I am absolutly a newbie when it comes to linux. I know dos so I was hoping that helps as I need to use dd_rescue to try and recover some data.

    I am using knoppix live DVD lastest version downloaded today. I have a laptop booted with knoppix and have 2x USB devices. 1x a Kingston 1Gb flashdrive and the 2nd a Seagate 2Tb external USB drive. Both sare see and can be browsed to. Kingston sdc1 and Seagate sdb

    Now I have a single file on the Kingston and it is not corrupt but I am testing as I cannot get this correct. I run the ffg command and I get an error.

    dd_rescure /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdb

    This runs without an error, but there are NO files on sdb when I browse to it. (I believe there should be none)

    I than run....
    dd_rescue /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdb/backup.img

    I get an error that the
    dd_rescue: (fatal): open "/dev/sdb/backup.img" failed: not a directory

    I created a directory on sdb called backup and tried it and I get same error. I also created a file called backup.img thinking that when it encounters it it would let me know if it should overwrite it...but no difference.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks

    PS: I tried to initially run the corrupt drive and I am not sure but it went on for days (I think 5-6 days) and had not finished. (the drive capacity was 120Gb)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by ss1001 View Post
    What am I doing wrong?
    You need to have some understanding of device files, file system types ( FAT, VFAT, NTFS etc), mounting of file systems ....etc in order to use the tools effectively.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2

    Got past the initial error to encounter others...

    Ok I got past the initial error and I did this by actually changing directory to the destination drive i.e. where the actual log file and image file (of the rescued HDD) will reside. I believe there may be a command in Linux similar to DOSes "Path" command ...however I have not investigated this as yet. NOTE IMPORTANT: I did all of this in the "roots" terminal window as the regular terminal window does not have enough permissions. Again I am new to Linux and didn't know how to login as root from the regular command/terminal window.

    So I was able to successfully make an image of my Test flash drive with the a single file in it and was able to mount (again here I had to be in the actual folder where this recovers image file is...that Path command mentioned above).

    So I than proceeded to try and recover the 120Gb HDD installed in an external USB enclosure. The system saw the drive fine and also reported it as NTFS. I got the image file after several hours and finally mounted the image to find it black with no files. So not sure if the previous attempts with dd_resuce wiped the file clean.

    Anyway, I proceeded to recover another drive 750Gb SATA in an External USB enclosure and when I looked at the file system it indicated unrecognized and showed it as FAT. However it reported the drive as a 2Tb drive and not 750Gb as marked in the lable.....

    Any 'CONSTRUCTIVE' idea's please ....

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter

$169.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$329.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11

$229.99