Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New to Linux/Knoppix-confused on saving configuration

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7

    New to Linux/Knoppix-confused on saving configuration

    A newbie to linux/knoppix, I have recently purchased a DVD system with Knoppix 6.2.1 and it works great and it appears to be using the LXDE desktop with the Iceweasel browser installed of which I am using at this time. My problem is how to save all that I have configured to get to this point. When I quit, logout or whatever it's gone. I understand that I must perform some operation to save it but am confused about that.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Here are two thoughts for you, webtek.

    1. Do a forum search using the keyword 'persistent'. See what Krishna.Murphy,
    Klaus2008, Harry Kuhman, Capricorny and KL522 have to say about the
    subject of 'persistent store'.

    2. If you have a USB Flash disk of 2Gb or greater,
    try out the Knoppix Live DVD Preferences menu option for
    'Install to Flash Disk'. Then on first boot of the Live Flash Disk,
    take the option to create persistent storage.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for the reply. I have just done the 'Install to Flash Disk' on a 4GB Flash Drive via the Preferences menu and then booted from the USB Flash drive as recommended but never seen anything about an option to create a persistent image during the boot up.

    webtek

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    In my case, until so established, there was a prompt for a few seconds
    at each LiveUSB boot that Knoppix would ask how many Mbs to set aside for
    persistent store. In your case, probably around 3000. The prompt only
    stays on the screen a few seconds. Look close next boot, maybe you are
    just missing your cue here.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    @webtek:
    I think that there is not enough free space left on the USB Flash device to create a persistent image. If you want to install the Knoppix DVD on a USB Flash drive then you need one that is larger than 4 GB. I think that you should open a terminal and issue
    Code:
    df
    This command will show you how much disk space is already used on your drives.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hi, Klaus. Happy New Year.

    I only use a 2 Gb SD Card, and 1181 Mb goes to persistent store.
    I made my USB from a Knoppix CD, not a DVD if that matters.
    No troubles this way for over 6 months with 6.2.1.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Hi, utu. I wish you a happy new year, too.

    The size of the large KNOPPIX file on the DVD is 3900339847 bytes (3.6 GB).
    The size of the large KNOPPIX file on the CD is 681.7 MB.
    I have got a 4 GB USB flash device with a capacity of 4110417920 bytes. If I would install the Knoppix 6.2.1 DVD on that USB Flash drive, there were less than 200 MB free for the persistent store. 200 MB is the minimum size for the persistent image. Therefore you need a really large flash drive if you want to install the Knoppix DVD instead of the CD and use a persistent store.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I like your explanation, Klaus.

    Since webtek has a 4 Gb Card, I think now I'd advise he download a
    6.4.3 Knoppix CD and give that a try, before going out and
    buying a bigger Flash Disk.

    I estimate there will be around 3 Gb of additional apps webtek
    can bring in with Synaptic if needed using the CD and the 4 Gb card.
    This would appear to be the least-cost course to get some feel
    for the Knoppix-with-persistent-store experience.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7
    Thanks to all who replied. You guy's were all right on as the problem was that my 4GB didn't have enough memory left for the persistent file , it showed only 90MB available. I switched to a larger 16GB that I have and everything works as advertised and we now have persitance. The only problem left now is that my computer won't boot off of the large 16GB flash drive so I get around that by booting with the DVD and at the first KNOPPIX screen boot prompt I do a, knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1 and then it loads from the flash drive OK. webtek

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.26



Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN picture

Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN

$55.00



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$202.46



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00