Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: 6.4.3 Growing Pains

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    6.4.3 Growing Pains

    Here are some growing pains I've noticed in
    my recent 2Gb SDCard version of Knoppix 6.4.3 Live USB

    Also a problem in 6.2.1
    Audio values set by alsamixer aren't saved;
    easily remedied via /etc/rc.local.

    Unique to 6.4.3
    Firewall tool applet choices don't recognize persistent store location;
    nothing gets saved.

    Cube face wallpaper choices get written over on re-boot;
    ~/.config/compiz/compizconfig may be at fault

    Everything mountable gets mounted; potentially hazardous access to ntfs partitions.
    cpm says ~/.config/pcmanfm/LXDE/pcmanfm.conf may be at fault.

    Gnome log file viewer no longer available;
    probably relied on gnome utils which have been removed since 6.2.1.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Relative to these 'Growing Pains' I offer the following workarounds:

    Alsamixer values can easily be set and saved by adding a few lines
    to your /etc/rc.local file. Search here for 'utu sset', see my
    post #4 to krishna.murphy.

    The wall paper choices and the everything-gets-mounted problems are
    easily cured with a simple edit. Search for 'utu desktop', see my
    post #5 to thread started by cpm.

    The log file viewer can easily be replaced by using mc, Midnight Commander.
    This is already installed in 6.4.3.

    If you miss 'locate' as I did, put it back via Synaptic. A 300Kb bargain.

    I have no solution yet for the firewall difficulty. I didn't even know
    we needed one. Might be a simple xdg init problem, like the one
    involving PCManFM desktop preferences.

  3. #3
    I downloaded 6.4.3 to replace a very old Knoppix I used for many years, and was dissapointed to find that 'lang=uk' no longer works (the keyboard is dead if I try it). This is a nuisance for me here in England.

    This may not be something new to 6.4.3. but could I ask here if there is a way to make lang=uk work for me.

    Thanks
    Peter

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I've never done this, but you might look at the following approach:

    http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/pipermail/sl...ch/016706.html

    Let us know if this is a viable approach or if you find another that is.

  5. #5
    Thanks for the idea but I was hoping that there was some LINUX command that would do the same as the Knoppix 'lang=uk' cheatcode which worked before - I suppose that somewhere inside the box there is already the UK keyboard layout in a file and I just need to know how to switch to it each time I need to use Knoppix from the Live CD (which, for the moment, is only when I need to do some emergency repairs to Windows).

    Why does 'lang=uk' not work now? Does it save some space on the CD? Are there only one or two Knoppix users in England so it's not worth it? The -EN version of Knoppix doesn't use the English keyboard but the American keyboard! Where would I go (which forum) to ask if 'lang=uk' could be put back into the next version?

    regards
    Peter

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    This article presents a plausible story:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...ican_keyboards

    Also, there is a language abbreviation standard where
    en is 'international english' and and uk is 'Ukrainian'.

  7. #7
    All I want to know is how to get back to the keyboard layout that worked fine for me in the past with 'lang=uk' at the boot: prompt. Can you suggest another Knoppix forum where I might ask the question again. I am half hoping that Klaus might have not intended to remove the British keyboard (maybe he thought he was removing a ukrainian keyboard which would have used the Cyrillic alphabet which maybe cannot be displayed anyway!).

    Peter

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Did you try the cheatcode 'xkeyboard=gb' instead of 'lang=uk'? This should give you an english keyboard layout in the X11 environment.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    greetings Klaus.

    Google turns up en_GB in places.
    Some UK-ers putting gb in xorg.conf.
    Don't know if Knoppix handles either.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    In my install of Knoppix 6.4.4
    locate en_GB shows a lot of locale files for en_GB.

    My guess is that given a locale other than USA,
    that xorg.conf needs to have a few appropriate
    option declarations to change the keyboard map
    appropriately.

    I get the feeling that Debian has completed locale
    work for en_GB. I don't get the feeling that currently
    knoppix lang=gb or lang=en_GB causes this to happen.

    It would be nice to see an old xorg.conf for the
    days when knoppix lang=uk used to do whatever needs
    to be done.

    For the mean-time, I think a tweak of xorg.conf may
    likely be the only answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99