greetings Klaus.
Google turns up en_GB in places.
Some UK-ers putting gb in xorg.conf.
Don't know if Knoppix handles either.
Did you try the cheatcode 'xkeyboard=gb' instead of 'lang=uk'? This should give you an english keyboard layout in the X11 environment.
greetings Klaus.
Google turns up en_GB in places.
Some UK-ers putting gb in xorg.conf.
Don't know if Knoppix handles either.
In my install of Knoppix 6.4.4
locate en_GB shows a lot of locale files for en_GB.
My guess is that given a locale other than USA,
that xorg.conf needs to have a few appropriate
option declarations to change the keyboard map
appropriately.
I get the feeling that Debian has completed locale
work for en_GB. I don't get the feeling that currently
knoppix lang=gb or lang=en_GB causes this to happen.
It would be nice to see an old xorg.conf for the
days when knoppix lang=uk used to do whatever needs
to be done.
For the mean-time, I think a tweak of xorg.conf may
likely be the only answer.
@peter
I note that I get a dead uk keyboard for both Knoppix 6.4.3 and 6.4.4.
However, for 6.2.1 the uk keyboard is not dead.
There is not a lot of difference between the 6.2's and th 6.4's and
you might try the 6.2 for the time being.
I note that /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig still has an entry for uk.
So, I imagine there should be more to expect than a dead keyboard.

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$59.99
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$385.00
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80
2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99
128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99