Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Mounting an external USB disk

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3

    Mounting an external USB disk

    I'm new to knoppix (but not to linux -- I've used it for years at work). I'm using knoppix to try to transfer files from a windows xp harddisk to an external usb disk (it's a WD 2TB USB 2.0 disk). When I plug the disk into the USB port it's recognized but it's R/O. I've read the FAQ's that talk about right clicking on the icon on the desktop -- but there is not icon on the desktop! I've tried unplugging and plugging in the usb but still no icon. I do get a window that asks me if I want to open it in the file manager. If I click (right or left it makes no difference) on the icon for the drive the only option I get is to unmount. Have things in knoppix changed since the FAQ and they weren't updated?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3
    Here's some more data: I'm running knoppix 6.4. I just tried to plug in another external drive -- an IOMEGA 1TB which is formatted for a PC (probably NTFS, I'm not sure). Knoppix doesn't see that disk at all! I know that it's plugged in properly because it has a built in USB hub, and when I plug another harddisk into that (it's a small Seagate) Knoppix immediately mounts that as R/W. I'm really puzzled.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Commodore 128 Computer Powers On Not Tested with Power Supply picture

Vintage Commodore 128 Computer Powers On Not Tested with Power Supply

$169.99



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore C128 Comp w/ Original Box TESTED & WORKING + Original & PETG Key Plung picture

Commodore C128 Comp w/ Original Box TESTED & WORKING + Original & PETG Key Plung

$260.98



Commodore OS Vision 3.0 | Bootable USB Install | Linux Gaming OS picture

Commodore OS Vision 3.0 | Bootable USB Install | Linux Gaming OS

$24.99



Commodore Plus/4 computer for parts or restore picture

Commodore Plus/4 computer for parts or restore

$50.00



Commodore 64 Vintage Computer – Original Box – MATCHING SERIAL # – Untested picture

Commodore 64 Vintage Computer – Original Box – MATCHING SERIAL # – Untested

$199.00



Commodore 64 & VIC-20 BASIC & Kernel ROM Replacement Adapter - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 & VIC-20 BASIC & Kernel ROM Replacement Adapter - USA seller

$17.99



Commodore 128 Vintage Computer Not Working No Power Damage READ picture

Commodore 128 Vintage Computer Not Working No Power Damage READ

$129.00



Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW picture

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW

$11.99



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99