Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Mounting an external USB disk

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3

    Mounting an external USB disk

    I'm new to knoppix (but not to linux -- I've used it for years at work). I'm using knoppix to try to transfer files from a windows xp harddisk to an external usb disk (it's a WD 2TB USB 2.0 disk). When I plug the disk into the USB port it's recognized but it's R/O. I've read the FAQ's that talk about right clicking on the icon on the desktop -- but there is not icon on the desktop! I've tried unplugging and plugging in the usb but still no icon. I do get a window that asks me if I want to open it in the file manager. If I click (right or left it makes no difference) on the icon for the drive the only option I get is to unmount. Have things in knoppix changed since the FAQ and they weren't updated?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3
    Here's some more data: I'm running knoppix 6.4. I just tried to plug in another external drive -- an IOMEGA 1TB which is formatted for a PC (probably NTFS, I'm not sure). Knoppix doesn't see that disk at all! I know that it's plugged in properly because it has a built in USB hub, and when I plug another harddisk into that (it's a small Seagate) Knoppix immediately mounts that as R/W. I'm really puzzled.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$288.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe picture

OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe

$284.99