-
Screensaver question
I have been using the XScreensaver program included in the 6.3 dvd. I have it set to require a password after a certain time. It works well but I was wondering how secure it is. I read that someone could get past it by inserting a usb drive which will run a certain script.
True?
-
Senior Member
registered user
if someone has physical access to the computer NOTHING can make it 100% safe, these things are just there to prevent someone "accidentally" accessing the computer short term.
I (and thousands of others) could likely get through most any "screen-lock" or similar in few seconds and most any other lock/password... if given time.
Actually I have helped so many that have lost/forgotten passwords, crashed drives/installations and viruses/malware... that I stopped counting.
on many of these "search and rescue" excursions I have to recover passwords and such just to enable collecting mail, installing programs (M$-Office, Photoshop... all require a code), in other words getting past such things is more or less routine (and one "skill" I will NOT teach on-line).
-
Senior Member
registered user
Haven't tried it but I thought there is an easy way for someone to break the screen-saver for Knoppix, ie control-alt-F1, control-alt-F2 or control-alt-del. By doing one of those, the security is violated immediately.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Hynix 8x 8GB DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-2400T Server Memory RDIMM HMA81GR7MFR8N-UH
$450.00

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$169.95

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

Hynix & Samsun (Lot Of 36) 4GB 2Rx8 PC3L-10600R DDR3 Server Memory 144GB Total
$120.00

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY
$229.00

MIXED *LOT OF 33* DESKTOP MEMORY RAM
$400.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$288.19