Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Screensaver question

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30

    Screensaver question

    I have been using the XScreensaver program included in the 6.3 dvd. I have it set to require a password after a certain time. It works well but I was wondering how secure it is. I read that someone could get past it by inserting a usb drive which will run a certain script.
    True?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    if someone has physical access to the computer NOTHING can make it 100% safe, these things are just there to prevent someone "accidentally" accessing the computer short term.
    I (and thousands of others) could likely get through most any "screen-lock" or similar in few seconds and most any other lock/password... if given time.

    Actually I have helped so many that have lost/forgotten passwords, crashed drives/installations and viruses/malware... that I stopped counting.
    on many of these "search and rescue" excursions I have to recover passwords and such just to enable collecting mail, installing programs (M$-Office, Photoshop... all require a code), in other words getting past such things is more or less routine (and one "skill" I will NOT teach on-line).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Haven't tried it but I thought there is an easy way for someone to break the screen-saver for Knoppix, ie control-alt-F1, control-alt-F2 or control-alt-del. By doing one of those, the security is violated immediately.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1671.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Apple iPad Pro 12.9

Apple iPad Pro 12.9" 5th Gen 128GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Wi-Fi Or Cellular - Good

$489.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$462.74



Silicon Power 1TB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC SATA III 2.5

Silicon Power 1TB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC SATA III 2.5" SSD Laptop XBOX PS3 PC

$119.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99