-
Boot from ISO KNOPPIX_V6.4.3DVD-2010-12-20-EN.iso
Hi you all,
I have been fighting a few days with a variant of the current problem, so I share it with you.
My aim is to boot from ISO the latest Knoppix version. This ISO hold on a usb 320 GB external disk with several partitions.
The only way I managed to boot Knoppix 6.4.3 from this disk (/dev/sdb) was to create a suitable size partition (/dev/sdb8 and then cat KNOPPIX_V6.4.3DVD-2010-21-20-EN.iso > /dev/sdb8
booting with gujin as bootloader it works fine.
However I don't want to waste a partition for KNOPPIX and I'd like to boot it straight from the ISO image.
my USB HDD has FAT (/dev/sdb2) NTFS (/dev/sdb3) ext2 (/dev/sdb6) partitions and I can place the ISO on anyone.
I made some attempts using GRUB2 (I can also boot from grub4dos) but unsuccessfully (basically the iso image is not found and the boot process drops to prompt)
this is grub.cfg entry
menuentry 'KNOPPIX' {
set root='(hd0,7)'
#loopback loop /KNOPPIX_V6.4.3DVD-2010-12-20-EN.iso
linux (hd0,6)/boot/isolinux/linux desktop=gnome bootfrom=/dev/sda7/boot/isolinux/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=it vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off BOOT_IMAGE=KNOPPIX
video=vga16fboff nomce loglevel=1 tz=localtime
initrd (hd0,6)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
}
you can see I extracted linux and minirt.gz from the ISO and placed on /boot/isolinux in order to fire it
Anyone can help me ?
Thanks in advance
benny
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

Intel Core i7-10700K 3.80GHz 8 Core SRH72 16 Thread LGA 1200
$275.00

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop
$220.36

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core AM5 Desktop Processor 5.2GHz MPN 100-100001084WOF
$400.00

Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor
$27.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 FX-8320 8-Core 3.5GHz / 4.0GHz Boost
$80.00