Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Knoppix boot from different partitions

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Technically interesting but it's academic. I don't see any reason why you should install it that way - except just to challenge your ownself. What's the difference if you install the usual way by copying the KNOPPIX directory ?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for your answer. The reason is not acadamic, but simply I don't manage to make it working.

    maybe it is because of the complex environment (Gujin on MBR and additional chained bootloaders) or my pc bios which does not show the USB disk mapping.

    I do manage to boot KNOPPIX if it is on the local disk by adding this entry to 40_custom

    menuentry "KNOPPIX LXDE" {
    set root=(hd0,2)
    linux /KNOPPIX/linux boot=/dev/sda2/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 lang=it vt.default_utf8=0 nohome apm=power-off vga=normal norandr xmodule=vga nomce loglevel=1 tz=Europe/Rome
    initrd /KNOPPIX/minirt.gz
    }
    but on the USB disk it does not work.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10
    <span style="background-color: #99FF99;">Thanks kl522,

    that's not academic as I cannot boot KNOPPIX on my USB driver with the described tecnique. I wish I could.
    Actually I can succeed copying KNOPPIX, linux and minirt.gz on a NTFS partition of my INTERNAL DISK the three files are fired with this 40_custom grub2 entry:

    menuentry "KNOPPIX LXDE" {
    set root=(hd0,2)
    linux /KNOPPIX/linux boot=/dev/sda2/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 lang=it vt.default_utf8=0 nohome apm=power-off vga=normal norandr xmodule=vga nomce loglevel=1 tz=Europe/Rome
    initrd /KNOPPIX/minirt.gz
    }
    no success on USB drive instead.</span>

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10

    SOLVED (almost)

    kl522, I followed your criticism and I moved the same working configuration from the internal HDD to the USB drive to the NTFS partition (the former was ext2) and I can boot KNOPPIX finally.

    If I add the cheatcode desktop=kde I get the following error: "Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full ?) Check your installation"

    can you suggest a working set of cheatcodes for kde ? gnome and lxde work fine.

    thanks again
    benny

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Intel Core i7-10700K 3.80GHz 8 Core SRH72 16 Thread LGA 1200 picture

Intel Core i7-10700K 3.80GHz 8 Core SRH72 16 Thread LGA 1200

$275.00



Dell OptiPlex 5090 SFF PC w/ i7-10700 2.9GHz CPU 2TB HDD 8GB DDR4 RAM Win 10 Pro picture

Dell OptiPlex 5090 SFF PC w/ i7-10700 2.9GHz CPU 2TB HDD 8GB DDR4 RAM Win 10 Pro

$209.95



Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT picture

Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT

$120.85



Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor

$27.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



Dell OptiPlex 5090 SFF PC w/ i7-10700 2.9GHz CPU 2TB HDD 8GB DDR4 RAM Win 10 Pro picture

Dell OptiPlex 5090 SFF PC w/ i7-10700 2.9GHz CPU 2TB HDD 8GB DDR4 RAM Win 10 Pro

$209.95



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36