Quote Originally Posted by otropogo View Post
Thanks Werner. Your citation looks promising, and I'd like to try it. But it appears, from the context, to be designed to write the persisitent image file to the same location as the flash installation. Where would this command write the image file when the system has been booted from the LiveCD, and how would it find it at boot-up if it wasn't on the partition with FS_Knoppix?

I don't know enough to answer these questions, much less to edit the command so that it would work for my situation. How did Knoppix find the persistent image file in older versions that still booted only from the LiveCD or DVD?
OK, I've tried the command now, and it performed as I expected. It tried to write the image file to the LiveCd, since that's what booted, and reported that it couldn't do it (can't remember the exact words).

Also, the SD card with the persistent image file for the LiveCD created on the laptop was in the attached USB reader, but the programs saved in it were not loaded.

Clearly, the distro is set up to look for the image file only in the same partition as the booted Knoppix, so even if one could write an image file, you'd have to edit the boot instructions so that Knoppix would look for it elsewhere than the boot partition.

Since Klaus responded to my original inquiry about the reason for this deliberate crippling of the LiveCd by deleting it, I can only conclude the guess I hazarded (to sell 4 and 8GB flash memory) was not far off the mark..