Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How do I enable Compiz?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1

    How do I enable Compiz?

    Hi.

    I have a Toshiba Satellite A110 laptop with an ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M Graphic chipset (full specs can be seen here:- 209.167.114.38/support/TechSupport/productcontents/satellite/PSAAKC-VA104C.htm) and I like to boot into KNOPPIX from a USB stick prepared with Linux Live USB Creator. This worked beaurifully with KNOPPIX v6.2, but when I replaced that with the new v6.4.3 I ran into a slight problem with Compiz not being enabled.

    Under 6.2 all the usual bells and whistles and pretty effects were present - but under 6.4.3 absolutely nothing. I have a menu option to "(Re-) start 3D destop compiz " but none of the effects work. No cube, no wobbly windows - nothing.

    Is there something I need to do to "enable" the compositor, or some config file I need to check/edit?


    Barrie

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Barrie...

    I'm no expert, but I found this by googling.
    Hope it helps.
    Mine just works.

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=701808

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I also note that there is an upgrade in Synaptic to xserver-xorg-video-ati.
    That might be worth a try.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    An earlier Google reference to On-Disk.com cached on Google reads as follows:

    Knoppix 6.4.3 Live DVD
    Jan 13, 2011 ... Like previous versions, Knoppix 6.4.3 incorperates newer ...
    the integrated ATI radeon graphics adapter does not work with the accelerated ...
    on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/1301 - Cached

    This On-Disk site was updated Jan 23.

    Perhaps some 6.4.3 DVD isos are (or were ) corrupted.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Also, from Klaus, himself:

    In some notebook of series "Toshiba Satellite", the integrated ATI radeon graphics adapter does not work with the accelerated "kernel mode settings". Workaround: Boot with options knoppix nomodeset nocomposite

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5
    I just found out that Compiz removes the Firefox window to gray when frozen. Clean!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5
    How do I enable Compiz?

    I just found out that Compiz removes the Firefox window to gray when frozen. Clean!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99