Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Boot issue on VMWare. BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3

    Boot issue on VMWare. BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request

    Trying to boot the live CD 6.4.3 from a virtual machine (VMWare Server). I've tried most of the option showing at F2 and F3 (at boot screen), even the checkcd and the boot inevitably stops after the following lines.

    BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 6e72656b
    IP: [<c010507cb>] print_context_stack+0x6f/0x90
    *pde = 00000000
    Oops: 0000 [#19] PREEMPT SMP
    last sysfs file:
    Modules linked in:

    I've checked the MD5 and it is ok. I'm truly clueless at this point. Googled the BUG message without success.
    Thanks,
    Stéphan

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    It seems from some of the issues reported, even checkcd/md5sum might not totally remove the possibility of a poor burn. Burning the CD/DVD at absolutely low speed is important.

    I have tested my DVD with VMplayer, and I even keep the memory very low ( 256M ), I can't repeat such a paging request ( a paging request is a attempt to look for a piece of information outside of current resident set), knoppix is just working on my vmware player, without any tweak.

    Have you ever got any working Virtual Machine working on your computer ? Might be problem with the host software/hardware too.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the replay. DVD burning is not an issue because I downloaded the CD version of the iso file. I didn't burn a CD/DVD, I'm using the iso image straight as a CD player in the VM.
    I'm running a bunch of other Virtual Machine on this computer and also ran Linux on previous model of the same brand.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Could you try the cheat code 'knoppix debug' ? The purpose is to show more clearly what are the things it managed to get passed, and what is the last thing the kernel was trying to do before it hit this BUG. My impression so far with the 2.6.36.1 kernel is that it looks to me is not a very mature .....

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3
    I tried to run 'debug' and 'knoppix debug' and both give the exact same results as originally posted. A whole pile of text lines with the one above as the last few. The only thing to knowwhat it was trying to do before it hit the bug might be to post a few mode lines that come above the one I posted already:
    ? do_trap+0x89/0xa2
    ? do_invalid_op+0x0/0x80
    ? do_invalid_op+0x76/0x80
    ? cpumask_weight+0xb/0x11
    ? __call_console_drivers+0x57/0x64
    ? _raw_spin_unlock_irqrestore+0x1e/0x29
    ? _raw_spin_unlock_irqrestore+0x1e/0x29
    ? release_console_seM+0x171/0x19e
    ? down_trylock+0x1e/0x27
    ? vprintk+0x2f0/0x328
    ? error_code+0x5a/0x60
    ? do_invalid_op+0x0/0x80
    ? cpumask_weight+0xb/0x11
    ? alternative_instructions+0x25/0xfc
    ? check_bugs+0x109/0x10e
    ? start kernel+0x2bc/0x2d0
    ? i386_start_kernel+0xc9/0xd0
    <IRQ>

    after that starts the above mentionned lines. Note that in front of all of these new ones (but <IRQ> shows a sequence of the form [<c010507cb>]. I did not bother retyping everything.

    Else, I'll try an earlier version see if I have any luck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600

$239.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99