@ Forester:

Even more specifically:

Here's what I find using nmap.
I'm presuming all is well, but I don't know.

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo nmap 192.168.1.1 (My Verizon Router)

Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-03-24 13:48 UTC
Interesting ports on 192.168.1.1:
Not shown: 993 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
23/tcp open telnet
80/tcp open http
443/tcp open https
992/tcp open telnets
4567/tcp open unknown
8080/tcp open http-proxy
8443/tcp open https-alt
MAC Address: 00:18:01:A5:61:5E (Actiontec Electronics)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.95 seconds



knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo nmap 192.168.1.2 (My Laptop)

Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-03-24 13:48 UTC
All 1000 scanned ports on 192.168.1.2 are closed

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.23 seconds
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$

*******************

Questions that remain:
1. How do I know if my router has a firewall?
2. What about Laptop ports above 1000?
3. Why would KK leave in a menu choice that does not work?