-
Knoppix 6.4.3 CD - HD install - fix problems with pcmanfm and gedit
Hi Everyone With a HD install of Knoppix 6.4.3 cd, I had problems with pcmanfm which wouldn't sort folders by name at first - very disconcerting - (fixed by going - View > Sort > Ascending and By Name) - but isn't this usually set by default. Then I found I couldn't copy and paste between pcmanfm windows and also couldn't save gedit preferences for user knoppix (no Gedit-2 folder under /home/knoppix/.gconf/apps/) but I could save gedit preferences as root - several other little niggles - I do hope Knoppix is not slipping from it's always so immaculate standard. I found eventually that only package had installed - once I installed the package using Synaptic (which also added and too, as dependencies), all the niggles seemed to go away - touch wood. Worth a try perhaps, if you notice these or other file organization problems. PS Problem with Ooffice (in 6.4.3 dvd) slow opening has been passed on to LibreOffice (in 6.4.3 cd) and now affects whole programme opening not just the first file opened - but fix is just the same - see earlier post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...ffice-document
-
Senior Member
registered user
Interesting feedback, and I believe they are valid "quirks" ( aka bugs ) of system. But please, for readers sake, break it up into multiple paragraphs !
The following is a relevant article about someone managed to fix the pcmanfm sorting file problem :-
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index...56&atid=801864
-
Hi kl522
My apologies on two fronts - paragraphs were there when i wrote post but when submitted they somehow then disappeared - i don't know how to fix this so the same may occur this time.
Re PCMANFM - I spoke/posted too soon and find I have possibly even made it worse (by my install of extra LXDE packages, probably) by now having 2 versions of pcmanfm.conf - but both are still being overwritten at each new boot by the incorrect setting of "sort_by=0" (should be "sort_by=2" as the sourceforge post identifies). So I am just as much lost as I was before - or perhaps worse, sorry. Hope some one else can solve this one, please.
Best wishes, John
-
Senior Member
registered user
As mentioned by the hyperlink I included, pcmanfm seems to take the default from /usr/share/lxde/pcmanfm/lxde.conf, so you just edit that file change the sort_by=0 to sort_by=2. Please try that and feedback.
-
... please have a look to the answer of Klaus Knopper because of LXDE settings
http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00008.html
Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
"Build personal Recovery-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix remaster)"
-
Hi kl522 Thanks for your patience. You are due another apology. I didn't notice that the file you suggested changing was not one of the two I had tried changing ( /home/knoppix/.config/pcmanfm/default/pcmanfm.conf and /home/knoppix/.config/pcmanfm/LXDE/pcmanfm.conf) but another file altogether (/usr/share/lxde/pcmanfm/lxde.conf). Now I have fixed THIS one, the one you wrote of and all is well and the sort order setting survives reboot as it should. Before implementing your change I reinstalled from scratch to remove my (unnecessary) extra installed lxde packages and this time I had no problem with saving gedit setting so I don't know why that gave bother the first time around. Hi Werner Thanks - yours is obviously the elegant solution and I'm glad it will be implemented in future versions. I still think Knoppix is much the best distro I have tried for working as a hard drive install even if it wasn't designed for that. Almost always things just work so well and we are so lucky to be able to use something made with such care and attention to detail. Best wishes, John
-

Originally Posted by
johnmd
Hi Werner Thanks - yours is obviously the elegant solution and I'm glad it will be implemented in future versions.
... it is Klaus Knopper solution, not mine.
Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
"Build personal Recovery-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix remaster)"
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More
$300.00

Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested
$28.49

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$150.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts
$71.95

5 Vintage Apple Newton Stickers – Original Apple Memorabilia
$15.00

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95

5x Vintage Apple Macintosh II NuBus Cards 630-4179 NI GPIB DIO Asante Ethernet
$239.95

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99