Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: WinXP, Mandrake9.1 & Knoppix3.2

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3

    WinXP, Mandrake9.1 & Knoppix3.2

    Hello

    At then moment I have a dual system running with WinXP and Mandrake 9.1, via LILO.

    I gave Knoppix a whirl and I like it !

    Have some HD left ( about 4 gig ) on which I wouldn't mind installing Knoppix

    Now I can change from LILO to Grub when in Mandrake, but the question is will Knoppix ADD itself to the Grub display when I boot up ?

    I don't wish to get into this thing of adding Knoppix onto my HD until I'm very sure of what I'm doing, as I have too much to lose if things go kaupt.

    Also when Knoppix installs, would it ' see ' the Ext3 partitions of Mdk ? and can I direct it to the windows partition I might have for it ?

    Much thanks and all the best - Amit

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    Knoppix will unlikely see the partition for mandrake.You will have to change the fstab and the grub files to reflect any new OS and partitions you created.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: WinXP, Mandrake9.1 & Knoppix3.2

    Quote Originally Posted by amit
    Hello
    At then moment I have a dual system running with WinXP and Mandrake 9.1, via LILO.
    I gave Knoppix a whirl and I like it !
    Have some HD left ( about 4 gig ) on which I wouldn't mind installing Knoppix

    Now I can change from LILO to Grub when in Mandrake
    Not sure what you mean by that-change from LILO to GRUB.

    , but the question is will Knoppix ADD itself to the Grub display when I boot up ?
    No. GRUB doesn't need to be changed- only grub.conf. Set up grub.conf so that it contains all of the partitions you'd like to boot, save the file and you'll be good to go.

    I don't wish to get into this thing of adding Knoppix onto my HD until I'm very sure of what I'm doing, as I have too much to lose if things go kaupt.
    Of course you should always make backups but try this:

    When you install Knoppix be sure to select no when it asks if you'd like to install LILO to the MBR. It will instead install LILO to the /root partition. That is, where you installed Knoppix. Now referring back to GRUB. Make sure GRUB knows about your Knoppix partition and it will read its grub.conf file and give you a menu option. When you boot this way you are said to be "chain booting". So....You power up the machine, you see the GRUB menu, select your OS (which is actually selecting a partition to boot right?) then whatever bootloader you have in that partition you're booting will boot.

    Also when Knoppix installs, woud it ' see ' the Ext3 partitions of Mdk ?
    Any Linux distro recognizes ext3. If you're asking "Does Knoppix know that there is already an OS on that partition?" then no it doesn't know or care about what you actually have on the partition. It will see all of your partitions- no matter the format.

    and can I direct it to the windows partition I might have for it ?
    You can install Knoppix to any partition you like- it doesn't matter what format it is because you will reformat when you install. You just need to be sure you know what's on what partition before you start.

    Keep this in mind: make the boot floppy when you install Knoppix. You can use it to boot Knoppix until you understand how GRUB and/or LILO work.

    I'd recommend studying both LILO and GRUB a bit as they work entirely differently than each other.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix3.8 with QEMU
    By Species8372 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 07:28 AM
  2. how good is Knoppix3.4
    By kant in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 08:34 AM
  3. Knoppix3.0 works - Knoppix3.3-3.4 doesnt work
    By walterma in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 03:22 PM
  4. usb and knoppix3.3
    By samkupar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 05:22 PM
  5. Triple booting WinXP,Win98 and Knoppix3.3 Poorman's install
    By lightstorm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 03:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



WONHOX Vacuum Seal Backpack for Travel with Air Pump XX-Large, A68-beige picture

WONHOX Vacuum Seal Backpack for Travel with Air Pump XX-Large, A68-beige

$93.82



Desktop Vacuum Cleaner Mini Desk Portable Dust Crumb White picture

Desktop Vacuum Cleaner Mini Desk Portable Dust Crumb White

$21.35



MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit picture

MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit

$399.00



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$107.67