-
Floppy? What's that?
With the advent of the bootable CD and floppy boot images, I have managed to live without a floppy for over a year now. OK, maybe I had to borrow a USB floppy drive once or twice for some twisted OS (maybe a BeOS or BSD-like release). However, every flavor of Windows and nearly every Linux distro can boot just fine from CD (again, even if I have to use a bootable floppy image). Oh yeah, I do keep a small (say, 50MB) bootable DOS partition on a second hard drive. So, I still have access to goodies like Ghost, PartitionMagic, Ranish, etc. I'll occasionally boot ZipSlack and KNOPPIX from the DOS command line.
I will admit, however, if I can find an LS-120/240 IDE drive for cheap ($20), I'd buy it in a hearbeat!
It would be a nice complement to my Zip250 IDE drive which as trouble booting *my* system.
It's time for legacy components to really disappear. I'd exclusively use USB for *external* devices if every OS I try properly supported it. And this is with a platform (AMD's second SMP Athlon chipset ... ?762?) which has well-documented problems with USB.
Anyway, ...
I may have run into a (hardware) problem with the DVD. In trying to install to the hard drive via knx-hdinstall onto a 4GB partition, ...
... using reiserfs seems to stall exactly at "41%." All of the processes seem to go to "you-know-where" in a hand basket. The disk LED is active the entire time, but everything else freezes
... using xfs stalls a "1%" with the same behavior as bove.
My prior attempts to use ext3 seemed to fail because of disk space. I'll have to give it one more try before I start drawing conclusions. I'm hoping that this WD1200JB is not the problem. But I am sure as heck gonna make sure my backups are up-to-date.
-SUO
Similar Threads
-
By Fabianx in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-27-2003, 09:12 AM
-
By ktheking in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-08-2003, 07:03 PM
-
Replies: 13
Last Post: 06-19-2003, 09:02 AM
-
By vasudevram in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-17-2003, 11:29 PM
-
By Robert Michel in forum News
Replies: 152
Last Post: 03-29-2003, 04:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01