Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: Announcement from Klaus - DVD Knoppix planned

  1. #31
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi Knoppixer
    Hi Knoppixinnen

    I am frustrated. I can't find anyone arround my area
    with a DVD burner yet! I have the .iso and will have
    to drive to a city to get a disk made.

    If I buy a DVD burner will it make data disks
    as easily as a CD burner? What program will work?

    All I can do now is dream of going to Linux Tag.
    Here is a link to KNOPPIX at LinuxTag.

    http://www.linuxtag.org/2003/de/conf...talk.xsp?id=59

    Best Wishes,
    paradocs

  2. #32
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Hmm.

    Doing "dpkg -l *dvd* |less" in Knoppix I get the following.

    ii dvd+rw-tools 5.5.4.3.4-2 DVD+RW/+R tools
    un dvdplusrw <none> (no description available)
    ii dvdrecord 0.1.4-1 A tool for writing DVD's and CD's

    I have no idea if the syntax for these tools are like cdrecord (since I don't have a dvd burner either). You can look in the man pages for these tools or google for info on the web.

  3. #33
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    57
    paradocs-

    mount -o loop dvd.iso /tmp/dvdiso

    ...

    cp -R /tmp/dvdiso/KNOPPIX / (root of any partition)

    ...

    dd if=/tmp/dvdiso/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0

    boot with the floppy and it should find the DVD files ... all without burning the DVD. Works well with CD images as well.

    -SUO, no DVD burner here either

  4. #34
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hello all,

    Thanks for the good information.
    Hopefully I will catch up before KNOPPIX
    comes out on a "blue laser disk",
    27 or even 54 gigs per side.

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  5. #35
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --I really think the blue-laser discs should be protected at all times somehow, like in a cartridge. The more dense the bits get, the bigger chance of an error if the media gets scratched.

    Quote Originally Posted by paradocs
    Hello all,

    Thanks for the good information.
    Hopefully I will catch up before KNOPPIX
    comes out on a "blue laser disk",
    27 or even 54 gigs per side.

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  6. #36
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --FYI, the new beta is out on the FTP site; check it out if you're involved with the Beta testing and have the email from Klaus.

  7. #37
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    57

    Better luck with the 6-20 beta

    I pulled the new DVD ISO and was able to complete knx-hdinstall. A few more "ups" and, surprisingly, some new "downs:"

    The KNOPPIX boot process detects all of my hard drives now ... up to /dev/hdh

    However, no USB devices were detected and activated. Since I only have a USB mouse, this is very debilitating. Was the default USB detection removed (or must be explicitly specified now)?

    As I mentioned, I was able to complete knx-hdinstall. The main copying progressbar is still based on 2100MB of files, so the progress approaches 200% before it is done. I also kept getting APIC errors from my two CPUs during the install.

    Unfortunately, the lack of USB carried over to the HD install. So, I've got some tweaking to do.

    -SUO

  8. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4
    just buy a DVD-RW from big-player @ localstore, after 15-30days return it for FULL refund

  9. #39
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Note, the DVD beta test is now over. Keep that last iso around guys, one day it may be a collector's item.

  10. #40
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2
    Hi,

    I certainly want to buy the Knoppix-DVD. However, I could not find any reference or information on how to buy. Three other persons expressed their serious interest to buy the Knoppix DVD (not simply copying) to support the project as well! When and where will it be avaialble?????

    Please keep me updated!

    Sunny Regards,

    Bleckie

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-27-2003, 09:12 AM
  2. THUMBS UP FOR KNOPPIX AND FOR KLAUS !!!
    By ktheking in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2003, 07:03 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-19-2003, 09:02 AM
  4. Knoppix saved our day - thanks Klaus and team!
    By vasudevram in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2003, 11:29 PM
  5. CeBIT-news: Klaus presentated Knoppix 3.2
    By Robert Michel in forum News
    Replies: 152
    Last Post: 03-29-2003, 04:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2 picture

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2

$135.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$255.98



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73